HelpAge India won the 2020 United Nations(UN) Population Award as the institutional laureate. Her MajestyGyalyum Sangay Choden Wangchuck, Queen Mother of Bhutan won the award as the individual laureatue.
- HelpAge India won the award for its contribution towards the disadvantaged elderly people in India and raising awareness on the cause of the elderly.
- Her Majesty Gyalyum Sangay Choden Wangchuck won this award for her active involvement to promote social causes in Bhutan, including health, education and family issues.
i.The virtual award ceremony will be held on 10th December 2020.
ii.The award consists of a gold medal, a diploma and a monetary prize.
About HelpAge India
i.HelpAge India, working in 20 states across India has been working towards the disadvantaged elderly people in India for 4 decades.
ii.The organization enables the elderly people to live a active, dignified and healthy lives.
iii.The organisation provides employment opportunities to older people, advocates for their rights in the community and helps local organizations to support them.
HeadQuarters– New Delhi, India
Chief Executive Officer(CEO)– Mr. Rohit Prasad
About Her Majesty Gyalyum Sangay Choden Wangchuck:
i.Her Majesty Gyalyum Sangay Choden Wangchuck is for a longtime working towards sexual and reproductive health and rights.
ii.She also works towards the need to end violence against women, girls and children in Bhutan.
- She has helped to create an environment to openly discuss sexual reproductive health in the kingdom.
- She founded a volunteer organization called “Respect, Educate, Nurture and Empower Women” (RENEW) in 2004-
- For over 20 years, she has been a Goodwill Ambassador for UNFPA(United Nations Population Fund).
About UN Population Award:
The UN Population award was established by the General Assembly in 1981, in resolution 36/201.
The award was first presented in 1983.
The Committee for the United Nations Population Award, every year honours an individual and/or institution to recognise their outstanding contributions to population and reproductive health issues and solutions.
The committee for the award comprises 10 UN Member States, with United Nations Secretary-General and UNFPA Executive Director serving as ex-officio members.
Recent Related News:
On 27th October 2020, Global Himalayan Expedition(GHE) of India, won the 2020 United Nations(UN) Global Climate Action Awards under Financing for Climate Friendly Investment for its efforts to combat climate change amid COVID-19 pandemic.
About UNFPA(United Nations Population Fund):
Executive Director– Dr. Natalia Kanem
Headquarters– New York, United States