In its ongoing efforts to combat the problem of declining child sex ratio in the state, Haryana State Govt. has announced to provide one-time grant of Rs 21,000 to all those families whose third girl child was born after August 24, 2015 under the currently operational ‘Aapki Beti Humari Beti’ scheme.
- Thus, eligible families of third girl child born on or after August 24, 2015 would receive the amount irrespective of their caste, creed, income, religion and number of sons.
- Haryana has been infamous for its dismal sex ratio. Owing to serious efforts by state govt. under ‘Beti Bachao-Beti Padhao’, sex ratio at birth has improved to 938 girls per 1000 boys in February 2017.
About Haryana State Govt.’s ‘Aapki Beti Humari Beti’ scheme:
- It was launched on 8th March 2015 by Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar with an aim to combat the problem of declining child sex ratio in the state
- As per the scheme, the first girl child born in the families belonging to Scheduled Castes (SC) and Below Poverty Line (BPL) category will be eligible for a grant of Rs. 21000/-
- Similarly, second girl child, twin or multiple girl child born on or after January 22, 2015 in any family will also be eligible for a grant of Rs. 21000/- (per girl child).
About ‘Beti Bachao Beti Padhao’ (BBBP) scheme:
- The ‘Beti Bachao Beti Padhao’ (BBBP) scheme was launched by PM Narendra Modi from Haryana’s Panipat on January 22, 2015.
- ‘Beti Bachao Beti Padhao’ (BBBP) scheme has been launched as a reaction to an alarming Child Sex Ratio which stood at 918 girls per 1000 boys as per Census 2011 vs. 976 girls per 1000 boys in 1961.
- Objectives of this scheme are to prevent gender biased sex selective elimination, to ensure survival and protection of the girl child and to ensure education of the girl child.
- Three Union Govt. Ministries are involved in this scheme – Ministry of Women and Child Development, Human Resource Development and Health & Family Welfare
Child Sex Ratio (CSR): Number of girls for 1000 boys between age group of 0-6 years
Quick Facts about Haryana:
- Capital: Chandigarh
- Current Chief Minister: Manohar Lal Khattar
- Ruling Party: Bharatiya Janata Party
- Current Governor: Kaptan Singh Solanki