The 6th edition of M.S. Swaminathan Award for honouring outstanding contribution in the field of agriculture has been given to Rayappa Ramappa Hanchinal – Chairperson of Protection of Plant Varieties and Farmers Rights Authority.
- This award has been given to Dr. Hanchinal for his contributions and continuous efforts in areas of seed production technology, crop improvement for hot and very hot dry environments and intellectual protection rights in plant varieties.
- The Award was presented by C. Parthasarathy – Secretary, Agriculture and Cooperation, Government of Telangana, and M. Prabhakar Rao – CMD of Nuziveedu Seeds Ltd (NSL), on April 14, 2017 at a function in Hyderabad.
- For this edition of M.S. Swaminathan Award, 21 nominations were received, which were assessed by a 6-member selection committee.
Accomplishments of Dr. R.R. Hanchinal:
Hanchinal has been an advisor to Govt. of Indonesia for development of field crop research.
- He has served as Vice-Chancellor of the University of Agricultural Sciences at Dharwad in Karnataka.
- While serving as seed production specialist for USAID and ICRISAT, Dr. Hanchinal played an instrumental role in organising commercial seed industry in West Africa
About M.S. Swaminathan Award:
This award has been named after S. Swaminathan, the ‘Father of Green Revolution’ in India.
- It is considered to be the most prestigious award that honors remarkable contribution in the field of agriculture, animal sciences and fisheries
- The award was instituted by Retired ICAR Employees Association (RICAREA) in association with the Nuziveedu Seeds Ltd (NSL) and is presented biennially.
- The award comprises a medal, citation and cash prize of Rs. 2 lakh.