Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) successfully Test Fired the Indigenous Smart Anti Airfield Weapon (SAAW) from the Hawk-i aircraft close to the coast of Odisha. It is the 1st Smart Weapon to be fired from an Indian Hawk-Mk132.
i.It has been developed by Research Centre Imarat (RCI), Hyderabad of Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) under HAL’s Hawk-i Program.
- SAAW is a precision strike weapon of 125 kg category, it has a range of 100 kms and can be used to attack enemy assets like radars, bunkers, taxi tracks and runways.
- SAAW is a light weight weapon compared to other weapon systems in the Arsenal
- The weapon has already been tested from IAF’s (Indian Air Force) Jaguar Aircraft.
ii.HAL’s Hawk-i program is aimed at improving both the Defence & Training capabilities of the Hawk Aircrafts.
- While in times of peace, Hawk Aircrafts will act as Advanced Jet Trainers for providing training on sensors & weapons, during times of conflict it will be used as a potent combat platform.
- HAL is also in discussions with IAF to integrate several weapons on Hawk platform for upgradation.
Recent Related News:
i.On August 12, 2020, HAL manufactured two Light Combat Helicopters (LCH) were deployed for operations at high altitude (Leh, Ladakh sector) to support Indian Air Force (IAF) missions amid prevailing situation on the India-China border.
About Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL):
Chairman & Managing Director – R Madhavan
Headquarters – Bengaluru, Karnataka
Director – Narayana Murthy