On April, 17, 2017, D.V. Sadananda Gowda – Union Minister for Statistics and Programme Implementation, conferred the Dr. Paduru Gururaja Bhat Memorial Award 2017 on historian and archaeologist Prof. A.V. Narasimha Murthi in Udipi, Karnataka
- During his speech, Mr. Gowda mentioned that Union Govt. is keen on promoting research in the country.
- Other dignitaries present on the occasion: K. Sudha Rao – Former Secretary of State Knowledge Commission, B.K. Chandrashekhar – Former Minister and M. Govinda Rao – Former Member of Economic Advisory Council to the Prime Minister.
Prof. A.V. Narasimha Murthi’s Areas of Work:
- A.V. Narasimha Murthi is the Chairman of Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan (BVB), Mysuru and former Head, Department of Ancient History and Archaeology at University of Mysore.
- This award has been conferred upon him to recognise his contribution to Indian Archaelogy, Ancient History and Numismatics.
- A.V. Narasimha Murthi has been associated with the field of archaeology since five decades. He is an ardent researcher of coinage. He also accompanied Dr. Paduru Gururaja Bhat during his research work.
- He also writes a column in and evening daily called ‘Star of Mysore’.
About Dr. Paduru Gururaja Bhat Memorial Award 2017:
- This award was instituted by Dr. Paduru Gururaja Bhat Memorial Trust in 2010.
- The trust was formed in memory of Paduru Gururaja Bhat, who was an extraordinary teacher, historian and archaeologist. He studied and researched history and culture of Tulu Nadu for over two decades.
- The winners of Paduru Gururaja Bhat Memorial Award are selected by three-member panel of experts constituted by the memorial trust.
- K Sudha Rao – Former Member Secretary of Karnataka Knowledge Commission, Dr. A Sundar – A renowned scholar of Archaeology and Ancient History and Dr. Deshpande – Former Director of the Institute of Social and Economic Change were this year’s panellists.
- The award carries a citation and a purse of Rs. Fifty Thousand.