Gujarat ranks first in the list for domestic solar rooftop installations, throughout the country with 64 percent of domestic solar installations. Nearly 50,915 domestic solar rooftops have been fixed in the state of Gujarat with a capacity of 177.67 MW on 2nd March 2020.
- Maharashtra is the second state to top in the domestic solar rooftop installations list with installation of 5,513 systems on 2nd March 2020.
- About 79,950 systems have been installed throughout the country having a capacity of 322 MW.
Government announces a scheme Surya Gujarat (Surya Urja Rooftop Yojana Gujarat):
This Scheme is announced to provide Solar Rooftop facility to the state of Gujarat.
- Target of the Scheme: The scheme is revealed to provide solar rooftop system to 2 lakh domestic consumers by the year 2019-2020, and to cover over 8 lakh domestic consumers by 2021-2022. ₹912 crore has been allotted for the scheme.
- Subsidy: 40% will be available for the solar rooftop up to 3kW and 20% to the solar rooftop of 3kw to 10kW. The subsidy will be provided through the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy.
- The excess units consumed by the households are purchased at 2.25 per unit.
Benefits of solar rooftop:
- Solar rooftops need only the light from the sun to generate electricity.
- No health hazards are involved and no pollutants are emitted by solar rooftops.
- No extra land is required to set up rooftops.
- This system reduces global warming.