Gujarat is going to be the first state to set up a University exclusively focussed Organic Farming.
Objective – To help farmers in switching to unconventional methods of farming.
- A fund of Rs 10 crore has been earmarked towards the university in the annual 2016-17 budget.
- The place may be chosen near to agriculture Kamdhenu University in Gandhinagar district.
- The separate university will focus exclusively on organic farming and research on what kind of crops can be grown in a particular area depending on the type of soil and the local climate.
- Under its organic farming policy, the Gujarat government plans to increase the organic farming area by 10 times in five years
Why is Organic Farming Important?
- Organic Farming is the production system which largely excludes the use of synthetically compounded fertilizers, pesticide, growth regulator and livestock feed additives.
- Organic methods address the three largest environmental problems on Earth: climate change, excess nitrogen flow and biodiversity loss
- Chief Minister: Anandiben Patel
- Capital: Gandhinagar