The Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers (GRSE) Ltd, Kolkata has signed USD 12.7 Million Contract with the Harbour Department, Ministry of Public Works, Government of Guyana for the construction of an Ocean-going vessel.
i.The move is expected to boost the export initiatives of GRSE.
- The Ocean-going vessel will weigh 1, 700 Tonnes
- It will be used on the coastal and riverine areas of Guyana
- The vessel will be equipped with two Caterpillar marine Diesel engines, they will be equipped with twin disc reduction gear boxes to achieve a speed of 15 Knots.
ii.At present, GRSE has the capability to construct 20 ships simultaneously.
GRSE is a shipbuilding company in India which is under the administrative control of the Ministry of Defence (MoD) and was awarded the Miniratna status by Government of India in 2006.
- It primarily caters to the shipbuilding requirements of the Indian Navy & the Indian Coast Guard.
- It is the 1st Indian shipyard to build 100 warships.
- Apart from ships, GRSE also builds Bailey bridges used by defence forces and engineers in India as well as countries like Nepal and Bhutan.
Recent Related News:
i.December 30, 2020, Myanmar officially inducted the Kilo Class Submarine, ‘INS Sindhuvir’ into its Navy under the name ‘UMS Minye Theinkhathu’. The submarine was handed over by India to Myanmar in October, 2020.
About Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers (GRSE) Ltd:
Chairman & Managing Director – Vipin Kumar Saxena
Headquarters – Kolkata, West Bengal
President – Irfaan Ali
Capital – Georgetown
Currency – Guyanese Dollar