Government has approved the National Smart Grid Mission (NSGM) -an institutional mechanism for planning, monitoring and implementation of policies and programs related to Smart Grid activities.
This was stated by Sh. Piyush Goyal, Minister of state for Power, Coal & New and Renewable Energy (IC) in a written reply to a question in the Lok Sabha today.
- The NSGM aims to implement a smart power grid based on the latest technology in automation, communication and IT systems that can monitor and control power flows from points of generation to points of consumption
- Total Outlay : Rs.980 crore with a budgetary support of Rs.338 crore.
- State-level missions on the lines of the national smart grid have also been proposed
- NSGM has three tier structure.
Apex level :
- A Governing Council headed by the Power Minister.
- The members of the Council are secretary level officers of concerned ministries and departments.
- Role of the apex council : To approve all policies and programme for smart grid implementation.
At the second level :
- An Empowered Committee headed by the Secretary (Power).
- The members of the committee are Joint Secretary level officers of concerned ministries and departments.
- Role of this Committee : To provide policy input to the Governing Council and approve, monitor, review specific smart grid projects, guidelines/procedures etc.
Third Tier :
- It will comprise a technical committee headed by the chairperson of the Central Electricity Authority
- The members of this committee are Director level officers of concerned ministries and departments, representatives from industries and academia.
- Role of this Committee :To support the Empowered Committee on technical aspect, standards development, technology selection guidelines etc.
- For day-to-day operations, NSGM has a NSGM Project Management Unit (NPMU) headed by the Director NPMU.
- Grant up-to 30% of the project cost is available from NSGM budget
- For selected components such as training & capacity building, consumer engagement etc, 100% grant is available.
- Other activities envisaged under NSGM :
- Development of micro grids.
- Consumer engagements and training & capacity building.
Related Fact :
India Smart Grid Week – 15-19 March 2016
AffairsCloud Recommends Oliveboard Mock Test
AffairsCloud Ebook - Support Us to Grow
Govt Jobs by Category
Bank Jobs Notification