The Government of India launched a dedicated portal called ‘Grahak Suvidha Kendra’ in Delhi, Ahmedabad, Bangalore, Jaipur, Kolkata and Patna to help consumers register their grievances against misleading advertisements (like particular medicine will help increasing height of a person or help bald person grow hair). The portal was launched by Consumer Affairs Minister Ram Vilas Paswan.
Grahak Suvidha Kendra
- The complaints registered on the portal will be taken up by authorities in the state or the central government and appropriate action would be taken on complaints.
- Any consumer in any part of the country can register on the portal and can lodge a complaint against misleading advertisements.
- The portal will be linked to all state authorities.
- The portal also enables consumers to be informed of the action taken.
- This will provide a host of services to consumers under one roof.
The Kendras are being launched on a pilot basis in only 6 cities. Based on the performance of these pilot centres, this scheme will be extended to other parts of the country.
Currently, the Central Government is running the ‘National Consumer Helpline‘. The number is 1800-11-4000. Consumers can lodge telephonic complaints (24/7) regarding their grievances. It has also assisted 22 states to set up and run state help lines in regional languages.