On November 3, 2017, Union Minister of Communications Manoj Sinha launched a pan India scholarship program for school children called Deen Dayal SPARSH Yojana to increase the reach of Philately.
What is Philately?
Philately is the hobby of collection and study of Postage stamps.
- In a broader context, it also includes research activities on stamps and other related philatelic products.
- Philately is not only about acquiring/collecting stamps but also to organise/catalogue the stamps as per specific themes.
- Philately is a hobby which widens the knowledge horizon in multiple aspects as well as inculcates discipline and organising abilities.
Salient Features of Deen Dayal SPARSH Yojana:
Abbreviation SPARSH stands for SPARSH(Scholarship for Promotion of Aptitude & Research in Stamps as a Hobby).
- Under this scheme annual scholarships will be awarded to children of Standard VI to IX who have good academic record and are also pursuing Philately.
- Such students will be selected through a competitive selection process in all postal circles.
- Pattern of this competitive selection process will include project work on Philately & performance in Philately Quiz conducted by the Circles.
- Every Postal Circle will select 10 students each from Standard VI, VII, VIII & IX from recognised schools within its jurisdiction.
- The amount of Scholarship will be Rs. 6000/- per annum @ Rs. 500/- per month.
- Total 920 scholarships will be awarded across India.
- A Philately mentor chosen from amongst the renowned Philatelists will be assigned to every prospective school, which participates in the competition.
- The philately mentor will help the school in forming a School level Philately Club. He/she will provide guidance on how to pursue the hobby and will also help the aspiring Philatelists on their Philately Projects etc.