Current Affairs PDF

Government gives funds to States/UTs under NAM to develop AYUSH System of Medicine

AffairsCloud YouTube Channel - Click Here

AffairsCloud APP Click Here

On August 8, 2017, Minister of State (Independent Charge) for AYUSH, Mr. Shripad Yesso Naik, informed that during the year 2016-17, central Government released Rs. 41711.849 lakhs fund to State/UT Governments under National AYUSH Mission (NAM). Abbreviation AYUSH stands for Ayurveda, Yoga and Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homoeopathy.

About National AYUSH Mission (NAM):

In 2014, Union Government had launched National AYUSH Mission (NAM) to develop and encourage the AYUSH system of medicine in India.

  • The Mission envisages better access to AYUSH services, strengthening of AYUSH educational institutions, enforcement of quality control of Ayurveda, Siddha and Unani & Homoeopathy (ASU &H) drugs and promoting cultivation of medicinal plants for sustainable availability of raw-materials for ASU & H drugs in the States/UTs.
  • Under NAM, grant-in-aid is being provided to State/UT Governments as per their proposed State Annual Action Plans (SAAPs), which is prepared in accordance with NAM guidelines by Governing Body of the State AYUSH society.Cabinet approves to ink a consent in the area of Traditional Medicine AYUSH and WHO
  • For special Category states (NE States and three hilly States of Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Jammu and Kashmir), grant-in-aid component is 90% from Govt. of India and remaining 10% is to be the State contribution towards all components under the scheme. For other States/UTs the sharing pattern is 75% : 25%.
  • Supporting the cultivation of medicinal plants is financed 100% by Central Government in North Eastern State and hilly State of Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand and Jammu & Kashmir where as in other states it is shared in the ratio of 90:10 between Centre and States.
  • With effect from F.Y. 2014-15, grant-in Aid is being transferred through treasury route to State Governments which in turn transfers the funds to the State AYUSH Society along with State Share.

Funds released by Central Government to States/UTs under National AYUSH Mission (NAM):

YearFunds Released
2014-15Rs. 7,528.707 lakhs
2015-16Rs. 33,101.248 lakhs
2016-17Rs. 41711.849 lakhs