On June 23, 2017, Central Government announced another list of 30 cites for development as smart cities under Smart Cities Mission. The names were announced by Union Urban Development Minister M Venkaiah Naidu.
About the latest list of 30 cities selected for Smart Cities Mission:
Kerala capital Thiruvanathapuram topped the list, Chhattisgarh’s new capital Naya Raipur came second.
- 45 cities contested for 40 available smart city slots but only 30 were selected to ensure feasible and workable plans that match the aspirations of the citizens.
- These 30 cities have proposed a total investment of 57393 crore under respective smart city plans, which includes Rs. 46879 crore for ensuring core infrastructure in the areas identified by citizens for area-based development and Rs. 10,514 crore for technology-based solutions for improving governance, service delivery and utilisation of infrastructure.
- With this, the total number of selected cities has gone up to 90 with a total investment of Rs 191155 crore.
List of 30 Smart Cities selected in the 4th Round of Selection:
|10||Srinagar||Jammu & Kashmir|
|21||Jammu||Jammu & Kashmir|
About Smart Cities Mission:
Smart Cities Missionis an urban renewal and retrofitting program by the Government of India with a mission to develop 100 cities all over the country that are citizen friendly and sustainable.
- This mission was launched on June 25, 2015 by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- Cities are selected on basis of the Smart Cities Challenge, in which cities compete in a countrywide competition to get the benefits from this mission.
- Union Ministry of Urban Development,in collaboration with State Governments of respective cities is the implementing body for this mission.
- After four rounds of selection so far, 90 cities (including 30 cities announced on June 23, 2017) have been selected under this mission.