On 13 July, Alphabet Inc. & Google Chief Executive Officer Sundar Pichai had announced an investment of $10 billion (Rs 75,000 crore) in India through the “Google for India Digitisation Fund” at the 6th Annual, Google for India Event 2020 and also a First virtual event of Google in India.This will be utilised in another five to seven years to digitize the Indian Economy.The fund will build India-first products and services.
The fund will be used to accelerate Google’s effort through a mix of Investments, partnerships, operations, infrastructure, and ecosystem investments.
The Minister of communications, Electronics and IT, Law and Justice, Ravi Shankar Prasad took part in the event.India’s HRD Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal participated to address the education landscape in India.
Investments are focused on 4 key areas of digitisation:
- Enabling affordable access to the internet and information for Indians in their own language.
- Providing various services relevant to the unique needs of India.
- Empowering business to embark in digital transformation
- Leveraging technology and Artificial Intelligence (AI) for social good areas like Healthcare, education and agriculture.
Google is Set to Partner with Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) to Promote Online Education in India
- Google will partner with CBSE and provide new initiatives to digitize classrooms.
- Google grants $1 million to the Kaivalya Education Foundation through Global Distance Learning Fund which is a part of google.org, aims to help teachers in delivering virtual education.
- Google to allow one million teachers in 22,000 schools in India by the end of 2020.
- G Suits will be provided by Google. G Suit includes google tools like google docs, sheets and forms.
- It partners with Prasar Bharti, a public broadcasting agency for edutainment series for small and medium-sized business in the country.
Notable apps of Google:-
Google Pay ,one of the familiar global product and Google’s AI-powered reading tutor app Bolo (now called Read Along) is currently running in 180 countries.
Headquarters- California, United States
CEO- Sundar Pichai
Headquarters- New Delhi
Chairperson- Manoj Ahuja, I.A.S