At a ceremony held in Madrid,Spain in the Prime Minister’s official residence, the Prime Minister of Spain Mariano Rajoy Brey gave Golden Medal For Merit In Work,one of Spain’s top civilian award to Tennis player Rafael Nadal . The ceremony took place on 1st May 2015 which is recognised as Labour Day.
The award embodies the merits of working. Nadal felt honored on receiving this award and he said that he never imagined getting the award and hoped of overcoming ups and downs and restoring stability.
About rafael nadal
- Nadal was born on 3rd June 1986 in Manacor,Spain.
- He is presently ranked number 5 in the world.
- He is also known as King of Clay because of his dominance in clay court tennis .
- Nadal has won 14 Grand Slam titles,2008 Olympic Gold medal in singles.
- He also won 27 ATP World Tour Masters 1000 and 15 ATP World Tour 500 tournaments.
- He has the distinction of winning French Open record 9 times in his career.
- In the year 2011, he was named as Laureus World Sportsman Of The Year.
- Nadal was also the only male player to win single grand slam tournament record 9 times.
- He was the first to win atleast one Grand Slam tournament for 10 consecutive years .
- Nadal vs Federer tennis rivalry is known as one of the best in tennis history.
About laureus world sportsman award
- It is an annual award ceremony that honors individual from world of sports along with greatest achievements all over the year.
- It started in the year 1999 by Daimler and Richemont and is supported by its global partners Mercedes-Benzand IWC Schaffhausen.
- It was first held in Monte Carlo in the year 2000.
- Golf champion Tiger Woods won the first award in the year 2000.
- In 2015 Novak Djokovic for tennis, won this award.