Government of India (GoI) has constituted a 8 member Committee for Doubling the Production & Quadrupling the Exports of Handlooms in a period of 3 years. The Committee will be headed by Sunil Sethi, Chairman, Fashion Design Council of India (FDCI), NewDelhi.
- The Committee shall submit its preliminary recommendations within 30 days & final report within 45 days from the day of its constitution.
The Terms of Reference (ToR) of the Committee
i.To suggest the strategy and policy framework for doubling the production and for improving the quality of handloom products with the aim of enhancing income of the weavers.
ii.To suggest ways for partnering and collaboration of handloom weavers agencies with the designers, buying houses and institutions, organizations and exporters.
iii.To suggest measures for quadrupling exports of Handloom products.
iv.To suggest ways and means for improving the marketing of handloom products in the domestic market.
v.To suggest the measure for improving the input supplies (raw materials, credit, technology upgradation, skilling, designs etc. )
Members of the Committee
- Sudha Dhingra, Professor, NIFT, New Delhi
- Shefali Vaidya, Freelance writer
- Anagha Gaisas, Owner, M/s Saudamini Handlooms
- Suket Dhir, Fashion Designer
- Sunil Alagh, MD M/s SKA Advisors Ltd
- K N Prabhu, M/s Paradigm International
- Hetal R Mehta, Chairman, SETU, Surat.
Recent Related News
On 7th August, 2021, 7th National Handloom Day was observed across India to create awareness about the handloom works in India & to recognise its contribution to the socio-economic development of India. It is organised by the Ministry of Textiles .
About Ministry of Textiles
Union Minister – Piyush Goyal (Rajya Sabha – Maharashtra)
Minister of State (MoS) – Darshana V Jardosh ( Constituency – Surat, Gujarat)