Current Affairs PDF

GoI Launched Phase 2 Of Grameen Udyami Project to Promote Skill Development & Entrepreneurship Among Tribal Youth

AffairsCloud YouTube Channel - Click Here

AffairsCloud APP Click Here

Govt launches 2nd phase of Grameen Udyami Project

The National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC), in collaboration with Seva Bharti Kendra and Yuva Vikas Society, has launched the Phase – 2 of the Grameen Udyami Project, which aims to increase skill training in tribal communities in order to promote equitable and sustainable growth.

  • It was launched in Ranchi, Jharkhand, by Union Minister Arjun Munda, Ministry of Tribal Affairs, as a boost to the Skill India Mission.

Objective: Empower India’s youth with a wide range of skills and practical knowledge that will help them support themselves.

Grameen Udyami Project

i.The Rural Tribal Technical Training Program (Grameen Udyami) is a unique multi skilling project funded by the NSDC that intends to train 450 tribal students in Madhya Pradesh and Jharkhand.

  • The Grameen Udyami project is implemented under the Sansadiya Parisankul Yojana.

ii.Objectives of the Project:

  • Increase in Rural/Local Economy
  • Enhance employment opportunities
  • Reduce forced migration due to lack of local opportunities
  • Conservation of natural resources

iii. It is being carried out in six states: Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh, Jharkhand, & Gujarat.

  • Candidates were recruited from rural and tribal areas of Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh, and Gujarat in the first phase of training.
  • Rajeev Chandrasekhar, Minister of State (MoS), Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship (MSDE), and tribal MPs conceptualised this idea.

iv.Under the purview of MSDE, NSDC has sponsored the establishment of labs and classrooms in Seva Bharti Kendra Skill Development Center through Sector Skill Councils (SSCs) in phase-2 of the pilot project established in Ranchi.

v.Beneficiaries of this programme are trained in 5 different fields such as:  e-governance, plumbing, electrical & solar energy, agricultural mechanisation, and two-wheeler repair & maintenance.

vi.A budget of Rs. 85,000 crore has been approved exclusively for tribal areas by the Government of India (GoI).

National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC)

i.NSDC is a non-profit public limited corporation established on July 31, 2008, under Section 25 of the Companies Act, 1956.

  • It was established as a Public-Private Partnership (PPP) model by the Ministry of Finance (MoF).

ii.It provides funding for the development of scalable and effective projects for vocational training.

  • 51% of NSDC is privately owned, with the remaining 49% owned by the GoI through the MSDE.

GoI Initiatives for Tribal Community

i.In order to offer short-term skill development training to youth from all spheres of society, including tribal communities, MSDE has also been implementing the Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY), Jan Shikshan Sansthan (JSS), and National Apprenticeship Promotion Scheme (NAPS).

ii.The “Parliamentary ST Cluster Development Project,” which was proposed by Scheduled Tribe (ST) organisations, has selected 49 clusters across 15 Indian states.

Recent Related News:

In June 2022, the Ministry of Heavy Industries (MHI) and Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to create a collaborative ecosystem to offer skill development training in the capital goods sector.

About the Ministry of Tribal Affairs:

Union Minister – Arjun Munda (Khunti Constituency, Jharkhand)
Minister of State (MoS) – Renuka Singh Saruta; Bishweswar Tudu