Union Minister for Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying, Giriraj Singh has stated that the Central Government is set to Invest INR 400 crore in Goa to transform the state into India’s First Fisheries Hub.
- Of the INR 400 Crore Investment, The Union Minister has already sanctioned INR 41.7 Crores to Goa under the Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana (PMMSY).
- Goa has the required coastline, inland waterways & saline Khazan lands for producing the large quantity of fish in the country.
Planned Activities for making Goa as Fisheries Hub
Ornamental & Seaweed Clusters
- INR 30 Crore to be allocated for setting up Aquarium Cluster under ornamental fisheries for generating employment and income. A Seaweed complex will also be set up for the same purpose.
- Globally, seaweed is a 15 Million dollar business. It is being dominated by Indonesia & China.
Fish Vending Kiosks, Hatchery & Diagnosis Lab
- INR 5 Crore for setting up 50 fish vending kiosks which will be beneficial for women and for further development of retail fish markets.
- INR 50 Crore for upgrading the Margao Wholesale Fish Market.
- INR 2.5 Crore for construction of a marine hatchery
- A disease diagnosis referral lab for livestock will be set up at a cost of INR 10 Crore.
Sagar Mitras to be set up in 70 fishing villages of Goa for educating the population dependent on fishing.
Fishing Jetties & Harbour
- Creation of 30 Fish Landing Jetties to enable fishermen to anchor their boats near their villages. At present there are 9 landing jetties in Goa which are being used for Tourism & Fishing purposes.
- A New Fishing Harbour is also set to be developed in Vasco bay with support from the Ministry of Shipping. It will benefit around 300 fishing boats & 1, 200 people in the area.
Development of ‘Cage Culture’
CSIR-NIO (Council of Scientific & Industrial Research-National Institute of Oceanography), Dona Paula, Goa has highlighted the enormous potential of Cage Culture fishing in Goa.
- Cage Culture is a kind of aquaculture production system in which fishes are reared in floating net pens.
- Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute has stated that around 72 Square Kilometres in Goa will be brought under the Cage Culture.
- In the 72 Square Kilometre area, around 30 lakh cages can be installed, which will raise the capacity of fish production in the state.
- The high production of fishes will also support the Goa-based fish processing units as they have always been dependent on Maharashtra & Karnataka for the raw materials.
Recent Related News:
i.On October 9, 2020, Goa has become the first ‘Har Ghar Jal’ state in the country under Central Governments Jal Jeevan Mission (JJM) by providing 100% tap water connections in Functional Household Tap Connections (FHTCs) covering 2.30 lakh households.
Chief Minister – Pramod Sawant
Governor – Bhagat Singh Koshyari