Global Entrepreneurship Summit (GES) 2017 was held in Hyderabad from 28th – 30th November 2017.GES 2017 (eighth edition of GES) was hosted by NITI Aayog in partnership with Government of the United States of America.
- GES is the annual entrepreneurship gathering which serves as meeting point for emerging entrepreneurs and investors from around the world.
- Theme of GES 2017 was “Women First, Prosperity for All”.
- The US delegation to GES 2017 was head by Ivanka Trump, daughter and advisor of US President, Donald Trump.
- Around 1500 individuals including entrepreneurs, investors, government officials and corporate representatives from across the world attended GES 2017.
Made-in-India bot ‘Mitra’ greets PM Modi, Ivanka at GES
On November 28, 2017, at the inauguration of Global Entrepreneurship Summit (GES) 2017 in Hyderabad, Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and White House advisor, Ivanka Trump were greeted by ‘Made in India’ robot, named Mitra.
More information about ‘Mitra’:
- ‘Mitra’ has been made by Bengaluru-based firm, Invento Robotics.
- It is made of fibre glass and has been trained to process over 1000-1500 different phrases.
- This version of Mitra is a modification to Mitra 1 which has been deployed at several corporate events and family functions earlier. A branch of Canara Bank in Bengaluru had been using the services of Mitra.
- All components of Mitra, except the chips, are sourced domestically.
- It uses facial and voice recognition to know when someone is talking to it.
USAID Administrator Green Announces New Efforts to Empower Women Entrepreneurs
On November 29, 2017, at GES 2017 in Hyderabad, United States Agency for International Development (USAID) Administrator, Mark Andrew Green announced several initiatives aimed to empower women entrepreneurs for attaining their full potential.
- WomenConnect Challenge: Under this initiative, USAID will invite proposals for innovative ideas to bridge the gender digital divide by addressing the barriers of affordability, security concerns and restrictive social norms.
- Feed the Future Competition:S. Government’s Feed the Future initiative will launch a new competition for women-led enterprises to access investment and other business services to take their food businesses to the next level.
- In January 2018, Feed the Future will commit $2 million, to connect women entrepreneurs in Africa with mentors from leading American food companies.
- USAID announced a new $1 million commitment to bring greater awareness to tuberculosis (TB) stigma with an aim of securing a TB-free India by 2025.
- USAID also announced the launch of its first health-impact bond, the Rajasthan Development Impact Bond aimed at improving maternal and newborn health.
Ivanka Trump visits historic Golconda Fort in Hyderabad
On November 29, 2017, Ivanka Trump, daughter and advisor of US President Donald Trump, visited historic Golconda Fort in Hyderabad.
About Golconda Fort:
Ivanka Trump was in Hyderabad from 28th – 29th November, 2017 as head of US delegation to Global Entrepreneurship Summit (GES) 2017.
- Golconda fort is located 15 km away from the venue of the summit.
- Golconda fort was the capital of the Qutub Shahi kingdom from 1518 to 1687.
- US security agencies and the local police had made necessary security arrangements for this visit.
- Ms Ivanka Trump was also expected to visit the Charminar, symbol of Hyderabad. However, this visit was cancelled on security grounds.