In November 2021, Giriraj Singh, Union Minister for Rural Development and Panchayati Raj inaugurated ’Bhumi Samvaad’ – a National Workshop on Digital India Land Record Modernisation Programme (DILRMP) at India Habitat Centre in New Delhi.
During the occasion, he also launched the Unique Land Parcel Identification Numbers (ULPIN) across India, and launched the National Generic Document Registration System (NGDRS) portal and Dashboard.
A day-long workshop that analysed best practices undertaken by different States/Union Territories (UT) under DILRMP.
Overview of India’s digital land record program coverage:
- 600811 villages against a total of 656190 villages in India were provided with digitization in land records.
- Digitization of cadastral Maps – 1.11 crore Maps against a total number of 1.63 crore Maps were completed.
- Department of Land Resources targets to complete the DILRMP by March 2023
Note – The Department of Land Resources under the Ministry of Rural Development has launched the National Land Management Award – 2021 to award best State on best practices for land acquisition for infrastructure projects.
Unique Land Parcel Identification Numbers (ULPIN):
ULPIN, regarded as the Aadhar Number for land, provides a unique identification (ID) number to the plots (land) based on their Geographic coordinates.
- ULPIN will be used to computerize all land records across India in digital format, which will automatically resolve land disputes.
- Now, the Minister has rolled out the scheme across India, which is currently implemented in 13 states & on pilot basis in 6 other states.
- India targets to assign ULPIN IDs to land parcels across India by Financial Year 2021-2022.
Note – India targets for complete digitization of all land records by March 2023.
National Generic Document Registration System (NGDRS):
NGDRS is a Software developed by the National Informatics Centre (NIC), that digitizes the land record document verification process.
- Registration of documents using the NGDRS portal will reduce the number of visits made by the applicant to the respective government department & also provides transparency to the system.
- Currently the system has been implemented in 12 States & under pilot basis in 3 States.
- NGDRS, a Single window portal for land registrations implemented under Integrated Land Management Information System (ILMIS) Project
About Ministry of Rural Development:
Union Minister – Giriraj Singh (Begusarai, Bihar)
Minister of State – Faggansingh Kulaste (Mandla, Madhya Pradesh) ; Niranjan Jyoti (Fatehpur, Uttar Pradesh)