General Electric (GE) & Intel separately signed an agreement with SERB (Science & Engineering Research Board) for conducting basic research within the areas of the companies’ interest.
- The collaboration is under SERB’s new Fund for Industry Research Engagement (FIRE) initiative.
- FIRE is an umbrella program under which industry and SERB invite calls for proposals for scientists to take up specific research projects.
- GE & SERB will bring in around INR 20 crore each for research in 3 broad areas of interest to GE – Clean energy, affordable healthcare and clean aviation.
i.The FIRE initiative was launched by SERB along with Intel India to advance deep tech-based research in India.
ii.The main aim of the program is to strengthen academic research by collaborating with key Research & Development (R&D) organizations in India.
- Under this initiative, industry and academia will work on a common platform to exchange new ideas and co-promote innovative research.
- It is a joint government and industry initiative with a co-funding mechanism.
iii.Best researchers in academia will be supported with funding, mentoring, and industry connections.
Recent Related News:
June 30, 2021, SERB in partnership with Intel India has launched the 1st of its kind research initiative called ‘Fund for Industrial Research Engagement (FIRE)’ to advance deep tech-based research in India.
About Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB)
It is a statutory body established through an Act of Parliament: SERB Act 2008
It comes under the Department of Science & Technology
Secretary – Professor Sandeep Verma
Headquarters – New Delhi