Indian space agency, Indian Space Research Organization has been selected for the prestigious Gandhi Peace Prize 2014. The grand award was chosen for ISRO by the jury under the chairmanship of the PM Shri Narendra Modi.
The year 2014 is the most successful year for ISRO. The agency successfully launched Mangalyaan or Mars Orbiter Mission (MOM) and at a very low cost of 450 crore rupees. The successful launch makes India the first Asian country to enter the Martian sphere of influence. The contribution of ISRO for the nation’s development is very high. The agency provides satellite based education, health care and connectivity to community activities for sustainable economic development.
Gandhi Peace Prize
- The Gandhi Peace Prize was instituted in 1995.
- The Award is given to an individual or an organisation for making social, economic and political transformation through non-violence means.
- The award comprises of cash prize of Rs one crore and a citation.
- Former Tanzanian President Julius K Nyerere was the first recipient of Gandhi Peace Prize.
- Nelson Mandela, AT Ariyaratne, Gerhard Fischer, Baba Amte, and Archbishop Desmond Tutu are some notable recipients of this award.