Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) ordered testing of various noodles, pasta and macaroni brands manufactured by seven companies to check compliance of norms in the wake of Maggi controversy.
The central food and safety regulator has also asked for testing of four variants of “Maggi Nutilicious Pazzta with tastemakers”.
The seven companies whose products will be tested are Nestle India, ITC, Indo Nissin Food Ltd, GSK Consumer Helathcare, CG Foods India, Ruchi International and AA Nutrition Ltd.
- The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India has been established under the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006.
- It is a statutory body responsible for protecting and promoting public health through the regulation and supervision of food safety.
- FSSAI comes under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
Functions of FSSAI are:
- Framing of Regulations to lay down the Standards and guidelines in relation to articles of food and specifying appropriate system of enforcing various standards thus notified.
- Laying down mechanisms and guidelines for accreditation of certification bodies engaged in certification of food safety management system for food businesses.
- Laying down procedure and guidelines for accreditation of laboratories and notification of the accredited laboratories.
- To provide scientific advice and technical support to Central Government and State Governments in the matters of framing the policy and rules in areas which have a direct or indirect bearing of food safety and nutrition .
- Collect and collate data regarding food consumption, incidence and prevalence of biological risk, contaminants in food, residues of various, contaminants in foods products, identification of emerging risks and introduction of rapid alert system.
- Creating an information network across the country so that the public, consumers, Panchayats etc receive rapid, reliable and objective information about food safety and issues of concern.
- Provide training programmes for persons who are involved or intend to get involved in food businesses.
- Contribute to the development of international technical standards for food, sanitary and phyto-sanitary standards.
- Promote general awareness about food safety and food standards.