Honorable President Pranab Mukherjee has presented India’s highest civilian award, Bharat Ratna to former Indian Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee at his residence in Lutyen’s Delhi. The event was attended by Vice President Hamid Ansari, former President APJ Abdul Kalam, Prime Minister Narendra Modi, senior leader LK Advani, Home Minister Rajnath Singh along with some close family members. The event was completely kept away from the media.
Knowledge is Wealth
- Vajpayee was the First Prime Minister outside Congress to serve a full five-year term.
- He was the 11th Prime Minister of India, served from 1998 to 2004.
- Vajpayee was elected nine times to the Lok Sabha and twice to Rajya Sabha.
- He served as a Minister of External Affairs in the cabinet of Morarji Desai.
- Vajpayee is regarded as one of the most charismatic leaders and also he was lauded as a statesman politician.
- Vajpayee is famous for his bold initiatives such as Lahore Declaration and Nuclear Tests at Pokhran.