Freida Pinto along with British director Richard Curtis, and 12 Years a Slave star Chiwetel Ejiofor launched the Global Goals Campaign, a worldwide promotional campaign aimed at raising awareness of the United Nations’ goals for sustainable development.
Richard Curtis, is heading the project, which will produce a “global cinema ad” that will screen to cinema goers in 30 countries. It is designed to spread the word about the U.N.’s SDGs.
What are Sustainable development goals(SDGs)?
As the UN Millineum development goals’(MDGs) wich were agreed by UN member countries in 2000 expire in 2015, the world need new goals to work towards. To setup future agenda in the form of goals, the UN is going to adopt new goals called the Sustainable development goals.
They consist of 17 goals that could transform the world by 2030. If agreed by UN members at the UN summit in New York in September, they will become applicable from January 2016.
The sustainable development goals (SDGs) are a new, universal set of goals, targets and indicators that UN member states will be expected to use to frame their agendas and political policies over the next 15 years.
List of proposed 17 goals:
1) End poverty in all its forms everywhere
2) End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition, and promote sustainable agriculture
3) Ensure healthy lives and promote wellbeing for all at all ages
4) Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all
5) Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
6) Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all
7) Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
8) Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment, and decent work for all
9) Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialisation, and foster innovation
10) Reduce inequality within and among countries
11) Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable
12) Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
13) Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts (taking note of agreements made by the UNFCCC forum)
14) Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development
15) Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification and halt and reverse land degradation, and halt biodiversity loss
16) Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels
17) Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalise the global partnership for sustainable development
Within the goals are a proposed 169 targets, to put a bit of meat on the bones.
Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales had pledged to translate the goals in 293 languages. The Global Goals Campaign will bring awareness about the SDGs throughout the world.