In the 12th Forbes annual list of world’s 100 most popular women, four Indians have been named, in the list topped by German Chancellor Angela Merkel.
- Arundhati Bhattacharya: First woman (and youngest) Chairperson of State Bank of India (SBI) was placed at 30th position.
- Chanda Kochhar: Managing Director (MD) and CEO of India’s largest private sector lender ICICI Bank was placed at 35th position.
- Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw: Founder, Chairman and MD of Biocon Limited was placed at 85th position.
- Shobhana Bhartia: Chairperson and Editorial Director of the Hindustan Times Group was placed at 93rd position. It should be noted she has appeared on the list for the first time.
- PepsiCo Chief Indra Nooyi in 15th position and Cisco Chief Technology and Strategic Officer Padmasree Warrior of Indian-origin in 84th position are also included in the list.
- Top ten includes US Presidential hopeful Hilary Clinton 2,philanthropist Melinda Gates at 3,Federal Reserve Chair Jannet Yellen at 4, GM CEO Mary Barra at 5, IMF Chief Christine Lagarde at 6, Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff at 7,Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg at 8,You Tube CEO Susan Wojcicki at 9 and USA First lady Michella Obama at 10.
- Arundhati Bhattacharya is ranked 30th,Kochhar at 35, Mazumdar-Shaw at 85 followed by Bhartia at 93.
- Arundhati Bhattacharya, the first women and youngest chairperson of State Bank of India, Chandra Kochar, CEO and MD of largest private sector bank ICICI Bank,Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw, founder,Chairman and MD of Biocon Limited and Shobana Bhartia,Chairperson and Editorial Director of Hindustan Times .
- Forbes said regarding 59 year old Arundhati that she overseas 2,20,000 staff members in 16000 branches and services 225 million customers at SBI with branches in 36 countries, ICICI banks Chandra Kochhar has been given credit for leading a remarkable transformation of the bank from serious crisis in 2008.
- 53 year old Chandra Kochhar’s mobile banking in the rural places to reach more customers is well appreciated and also for her more outspoken proponent of banking laws.
- In 1978, Biocon was founded by 62 year old Mazumdar-Shaw who saw the company getting transformed from being small industrial enzymes firm to India’s largest publicly traded biopharmaceutical firm that distributes its products to 85 countries all over the world.
- As per Forbes, 58 year old ,Bhartia is ”media baroness’, who chairs and runs HT media, publisher of Hindustan Times English daily,hindi daily of same name and business paper Mint.
- It is a American business magazine owned by Forbes.
- Started in 1917.
- Editor-in-chief is Steve Forbes.
- Headquarters is in New York City.
- Dollars, media presence and impact forms the basis of rankings