On June 29, 2018, The Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi laid the foundation stone of the National Centre for Ageing at AIIMS.
The Prime Minister also dedicated the underground connecting tunnel between AIIMS and JNPA Trauma Centre, and Power Grid Vishram Sadan at AIIMS along with the 500 bedded New Emergency Block and 807 bedded Super Specialty Block at the Safdarjung Hospital to the nation.
Dignitaries present at the event:
Smt. Preeti Sudan, Secretary (Health), Prof. Randeep Guleria, Director, AIIMS New Delhi, Dr. Rajendra Sharma, Medical Superintendent, VMMC & Safdarjung Hospital, New Delhi and Shri I S Jha, CMD, Powergrid Corporation along with the senior officers from the Health Ministry and faculty of AIIMS.
About the National Centre for Ageing :
The National Centre for Ageing will provide state of art clinical care to the elderly population and shall play a key role in guiding research in the field of geriatric medicine and related specialties. The Centre will also be a key training facility for under graduate and post graduate courses. The Centre will provide multi-specialty health care and will have 200 general ward beds, which will include 20 medical ICU beds. The centre will be developed at a cost of Rs 330 crores and shall be completed by February, 2020.
- An underground connecting tunnel between AIIMS and JNPA Trauma Centre will reduce the commute time between the two centers to 1 km. It has a cost of Rs 44 crores.
- An 11 floor facility Powergrid Vishram Sadan has been constructed at a cost of Rs 32.67 crores and funded by the Power Grid Corporation and has a 300 bedded night shelter facility meant for the patients and their relatives visiting AIIMS main hospital and JPNA Trauma centre at AIIMS.
- A new emergency Block at Safdarjung Hospital will house 64 triage beds, red zone for children and adults and 90 ICU beds for victims of road traffic accidents, acute trauma suffered by individuals at home or work, acute poisoning and severe medical and surgical emergencies has been developed at a cost of Rs 346 crores.
- Super Specialty Block at Safdarjung Hospital holds tertiary care facilities in the areas of cardiovascular sciences, neurosciences, pulmonary medicine, nephrology and endocrinology .
- It will have the facility of a heart Command Centre, respiratory care facility, sleep labs, 24×7 dialysis unit, MRI guided Braine Suite. Cost of establishing this Block is Rs. 920 crores.
- It also has a 228-bedded private ward.
Other Milestones of the Government in Health Sector:
Government’s Target to eliminate TB by 2030:
- The government has set 2025 as the target for India to eliminate TB, five years before the global target.
- Government is providing Rs 500 to the TB patients towards nutritional support.
About Ayushman Bharat:
- He also announced that under the National Health Protection Mission, 10 crore poor and vulnerable families (approximately 50 crore beneficiaries) will be provided a coverage up to 5 lakh rupees per family per year for secondary and tertiary care hospitalization.
- 150,000 sub-centres will be converted into Health and Wellness Centres (HWCs) that will deliver comprehensive primary health care.
- This will be the world’s largest government funded health care programme.
- Government has initiated universal screening of common NCDs such as diabetes, hypertension and common cancers along with Tuberculosis and Leprosy and everybody above the age of 30 years will be screened.
- 58 district hospitals are being upgraded to medical colleges and the government has also sanctioned budgets for 24 new medical colleges.