On 29th June 2020, On account of National Statistics Day The Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation (MoSPI) presented the first Prof. P. C. Mahalanobis National Award in Official Statistics’2020 to Dr. Chakravarthi Rangarajan, Former Governor, Reserve Bank of India for his contribution to the National Statistical System (NSS) in India.
The virtual event of the National Statistics Day was streamed live over various social media platforms.
i.Rangarajan received the Lifetime Achievement award for his contribution in providing solutions in the issues related to the estimation of national income.
ii.In his acceptance speech he mentioned about the importance of credibility of official statistics.
iii.He headed the Prime Minister’s Advisory Council and he was the Chairman of the National Statistical Commission to review the statistical system.
iv.Chief statistician Pravin Srivastava mentioned that the MoSPI is developing a generalised survey solution “eSigma” to capture data by mobile devices which will be supplemented by the telephonic and web-based interfaces.
Prof. P.V. Sukhatme National Award:
For their contribution in the Statistics sector the Prof. P.V. Sukhatme National Award in Statistics 2020 is jointly presented to,
- Dr Arvind Pandey, former Director National Institute of Medical Statistics (NIMS), Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) and
- Dr. Akhilesh Chandra Kulshreshtha, Ex-Addl. Director General, MoSPI, Government of India.
- Rao Inderjit Singh – Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) of Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation (MoSPI) and Ministry of Planning
- Dr. Bibek Debroy – Chairman of the Prime Minister’s Economic Advisory Council and President of Indian Statistical Institute
- Prof. Bimal Kumar Roy – Chairman of the National Statistical Commission (NSC)
- Dr Sangita Reddy – President of the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry and Joint General Managing Director of Apollo Hospitals Enterprises Ltd.
- Prof. Sanghamitra Bandyopadhyay – Director of Indian Statistical Institute
About Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation (MoSPI) &Planning:
Minister of State(Independent Charge) – Rao Inderjit Singh