The First World Health Organization (WHO) Traditional Medicine Global Summit held between August 17 and 18 in Gandhinagar, Gujarat alongside the Group 20(G20) health ministerial meeting which concluded on August 19, 2023.India holds the G20 presidency in 2023.
- The summit also witnessed the 1st Joint Finance and Health Ministerial meeting under the Indian Presidency.
Note – India took over the leadership of the G20 on December 1, 2022, and is currently a member of the G20 Troika, which includes Indonesia, India, and Brazil.The Troika is made up of the current presidency, the previous presidency, and the upcoming presidency.
First World Health Organization (WHO) Traditional Medicine Global Summit
The First World Health Organization (WHO) Traditional Medicine Global Summit,a significant international event focused on traditional medicine and its role in global healthcare, was launched by Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the Director-General of WHO, in Gandhinagar, Gujarat alongside the G20 health ministerial meeting.
- The summit was hosted together by WHO and the Ministry of Ayush,Government of India.
- Theme of Summit: “Towards Health and Well-being for All”.
Note: WHO’s Global Centre for Traditional Medicine headquartered in Jamnagar, Gujarat, accelerates advancements in Traditional Medicine globally.
Aim of the summit – It aims to bring together experts, policymakers, healthcare practitioners, researchers, and stakeholders from around the world to discuss and deliberate on various aspects of traditional medicine.
- This summit helps to identify potential areas for collaboration, and innovation in traditional medicines, and help harness traditional medicine in achieving Universal Health Coverage goals.
- This initiative is in line with the idea of ‘One Earth, One Family, One Future,’ which highlights our unity and collective responsibility for a better global future.
- The event was attended by Mansukh Mandaviya( Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare), Sarbananda Sonowal (Union Minister of Ayush) Bhupendrabhai Patel (Chief Minister of Gujarat), Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala (Director General of the World Trade Organization),
- Foreign Ministers such as Lonpo Dasho Dechen Wangmo(Bhutan Health Minister) Budi G Sadikin (Minister of Health for the Republic of Indonesia), Dr. Ernst Kuipers (Minister of Netherlands) also attended the summit.
2023 G20 Health Minister’s Meeting
The 2023 G20 Health Ministers’ meeting took place as part of the G20 India Presidency from 17th to 19th August,2023 in Gandhinagar,Gujarat.The meeting was focused on the 3 Health Priorities set under India’s G20 Presidency.
Launched events and programs:
In addition to the G20 Deputies Meeting on August 17, 2023, and the G20 Health Minister’s Meeting scheduled for August 18th to 19th, 2023, there were accompanying side events:
- One Earth One Health Advantage Health Care – India 2023,
- India MedTech Expo 2023; and the ‘Sustain, Accelerate and Innovate to End TB in South-East Asia Region’ Conference.
- Furthermore, a Joint Finance – Health Ministers’ Meeting will take place on August 19, 2023, serving as a focal point within the G20 Health Ministers’ Meeting.
The World Bank launched a report titled “Digital-in-Health: Unlocking the Value for Everyone.” which introduced a shift in perspective, moving beyond the mere digitization of health data and emphasizing the complete integration of digital technology into health systems.
- The report directed its attention towards incorporating digital technologies into health financing, service delivery, diagnostics, medical education, pandemic preparedness, climate and health initiatives, nutrition, and ageing.
“Promotion of Research and Innovation in Pharma MedTech Sector” with a cost of Rs 700 crore for five years which would help National Institutes of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (NIPERs) to become world class research institutes by establishing Centres of Excellence.
i.The Framework for Economic Vulnerabilities and Risks (FEVR) was created by the World Health Organization, World Bank, IMF, and European Investment Bank together .
ii.The Report on Mapping Pandemic Response Financing Options and Gaps developed by the WHO and the World Bank.
iii.The Report on Best Practices on Finance Health Institutional Arrangements during Covid-19.
iv.India’s first medical technology expo called India Medtech Expo 2023 was launched
Govt launches Global Initiative on Digital Health-WHO Managed Network
Mansukh Mandaviya, Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare launched the ‘Global Initiative on Digital Health’ (GIDH), a World Health Organization-managed network was launched at Mahatma Mandir convention centre,Gujarat.
- The new GIDH initiative will operate as a WHO-managed network and platform to support the implementation of the Global Strategy on Digital Health 2020–2025.
- This framework aims to consolidate all digital health initiatives, pooling efforts and investments within the digital health domain to create a comprehensive digital health ecosystem.
Cross-regional External Advisory Group for WHO Traditional Medicine Global Summit
With an aim to provide strategic and technical advice to WHO Traditional Medicine Global Summit, WHO constituted 11 expert members in traditional medicine, public health and policy to its External Advisory Group.
i.Providing guidance on technical review criteria and ensuring thematic consistency throughout the Summit. This guidance is founded on factors such as the robustness of evidence and data, research approaches, worldwide significance, potential outcomes, and related factors.
ii.Offering counsel on the creation of scientific publications that delve into topics discussed during the Summit.
iii.Formulating a comprehensive report for the WHO, outlining crucial insights and priority measures derived from the outcomes of the Summit.
The first Joint Finance and Health Ministerial:
The first Joint Finance and Health Ministerial G20 meeting was chaired by Ms.Nirmala Sitharaman the Union Finance Minister and Health and Family Welfare Minister Mansukh Mandaviya.
- Dr. Mandaviya announced the First Call for proposals by the Pandemic Fund during the meeting.
i.Under the Joint Finance and Health Task Force (JFHTF) steps initiated to strengthen the global health architecture for pandemic prevention, preparedness and response (PPR) through enhanced collaboration between Finance and Health Ministries.
ii.These reports serve to enhance participants’ comprehension of the potential economic repercussions of future pandemics, while also highlighting shortcomings in current institutional and funding setups designed to address such crises.
Governor – Acharya Devvrat
Wildlife sanctuary – Shoolpaneshwar Wildlife Sanctuary, Pania Wildlife Sanctuary
Zoological Park- Sayaji Baug Zoo