In the first Governing Council Meeting, Prime Minister Narendra Modi has chaired a meeting of Chief Ministers of the states to discuss the form and functions of NITI Aayog, the newly instituted planning panel. In the meeting, Narendra Modi has promised more funds to states with greater powers and also he asked to address issues delaying projects.
- A sub-group of Chief Ministers would be set up under NITI Aayog to look into rationalisation of the 66 centrally sponsored schemes, for which Rs 3,38,562 crore was provided in 2014-15, to states.
- Setting up of two more such sub-groups
- – one for skill development and creation of jobs within states
- – other to create an institutional framework to make ‘Swachh Bharat (Clean India)’ a continuous initiative.
- Model of “co-operative and competitive federalism” to eliminate poverty.
- ‘Sabka Saath, Sabka Vikas’ – To bring the spirits of all the states together.
- Two task forces to help the country get out of problem of poverty and increase agricultural production.
- PM said jobs cannot be created and poverty cannot be eliminated without growth. He insisted all the states that “First and foremost we should aim at a high rate of growth.”