The Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu on 27 March 2015 flagged off the first goods train from Lumding to Silchar in Assam.
Points to Remember:
- Suresh prabhu, Railway Minister, flagged off first good train on 27th March 2015.
- He flagged off the train through video conferencing at a function in New Delhi.
- He announced a cash award for those involved in the Lumding-Silchar gauge conversion project which will give result to better rail connectivity in North Eastern states.
- The gauge conversion of 210 kilometer Lumding-Silchar section in Assam connects Barak valley of Assam with the rest of the country.
- the gauge was completed at a cost of 3500 crore rupees.
- The broad gauge line comrpises of 21 tunnels (with the longest of 3.23 kilometer length), 79 major bridges and 340 minor bridges, 28 stations and four halt stations.
- Lumding is a town and a municipal board in Nagaon district in Assam.
- Silchar is the headquarters of Cachar district of Assam and lies 343 kilometres south east of Guwahati.