Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley has adopted four villages in Vadodara district in Gujarat as part of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s ‘Sansad Adarsh Gram Yojana‘ for the Members of Parliament. The villages are Karnali, Pipaliya, Valida, and Baglipura.
The minister has promised developmental works in these villages such as construction of schools, road construction, ensuring water supply, health services, and construction of a bridge between Chandod and Karnali.
The scheme encourages the MPs from both Lok Sabha as well as Rajya Sabha to adopt and develop at least one village from their constituency as a model village by 2016, and two more by 2019, covering a total of 2,500 villages of the 6 lakh villages in India.
Villages Adopted by Prominent Persons
- Narendra Modi – Jayapur village in Uttar Pradesh
Rajnath Singh – Beti village in the Lucknow District
- Sachin Tendulkar – Puttamrajuvari Kandrika of Andhra Pradesh
- Hema Malini – Raval village in Uttar Pradesh
Sonia Gandhi – Udwa village in Uttar Pradesh.
- Rahul Gandhi – Deeh village in Uttar Pradesh
- Chiranjeevi – Perupalam in West Godavari district
- V K Singh – Mirpur Uttar Pradesh
- Sumitra Mahajan – Patlod in Madhya Pradesh