Filmmaker Madhur Bhandarkar will be conferred Bharat Gaurav Award by the Non Residential Indian (NRI) community of USA on June 9, 2017, at the United Nations Hall, New York.
- Spiritual leader, Sri Sri Ravi Shankar, Late Kalpana Chawla (astronaut), Dr. Bindeshwar Pathak (founder of Sulabh International), Acharya Lokesh Muni are other prominent personalities, who will be conferred Bharat Gaurav Award this year along with Madhur Bhandrkar.
About Bharat Gaurav Award:
Bharat Gaurav Awards are a set of awards given out by the Non Residential Indian (NRI) community of USA.
- The community chooses various personalities from around the world who have achieved a landmark in their working area and felicitates them for their contributions.
- Last year Neerja Bhanot was awarded posthumously after the movie Neerja was released.
Brief biography of Madhur Bhandarkar:
Madhur Bhandarkar was born on August 26, 1968 in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- Before starting his directorial career he worked as an assistant todirector Ram Gopal Varma.
- He started his directorial career with film ‘Trishakti’ (released in 1999)
- Later on, Madhur Bhandarkar directed several critically acclaimed and commercially successful films like Page 3, Chandni Bar, Corporate, Satta and Fashion.
- In 2007, he received National Award as Best Director for film ‘Traffic Signal’.
- In 2016, he was honoured with Padma Shri by Government of India for his path-breaking films which reflect the reality of the world.