National Science Day is observed in India on 28 February every year (since 1986) to mark the discovery of the Raman Effect by Indian Physicist Sir Chandrasekhara Venkata Raman on 28 February 1928. For this discovery, Raman was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1930.
The theme for 2015 National Science Day is “Science for Nation Building”.
Sir CV Raman
- Born to a Tamil Family in Thiruvanaikaval, Trichy, Tamilnadu.
- Graduated in Madras Presidency College (Physics).
- Did his research in Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science at Calcutta.
- CV Raman was the first Asian and first non-white to receive any Nobel Prize in the sciences.
- Conferred with many awards – Noble Prize, Bharat Ratna, Lenin Peace Prize, Knight Bachelor .. etc