The architect of Madras Atomic Power Station (MAPS), “Myneni Hari Prasad Rao” aka MHP Rao passed away due to old age ailments. He was 88.
About Myneni Hari Prasad Rao
Born in 1927 in the Edlalanka village of Andhra Pradesh was a retired Director of the Nuclear Power Board (now known as Nuclear Power Corporation of India Ltd (NPCIL). He had a master’s degree in Power Systems Engineering from Illinois Institute of technology.
- He was specially appointed by the then Nuclear Power Board to administer the construction and commissioning of the MAP.
- He had also served as a member of Southern, Western and Northern Indian Regional electricity boards.
- In 1984 he was awarded with Padma Shri.
- In 1983 he was conferred with the Sanjay Gandhi Award for contribution in Science and Technology.
- Along with architectural excellence he also remained active in social service.
- He had conducted free Homeopathy clinics in Avanigadda, Edlalanka, Mynenivaripalem, Challapalli, Repalle and Gudivada.
About Madras Atomic Power Station
Commissioned in 1984, is a nuclear power production, fuel reprocessing and waste treatment facility. It is located at Kalpakkam, Chennai.
- The plant was constructed during the Prime Ministership of Indira Gandhi.
- It was built to strengthen the nuclear capability of India.