External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj held a 2-day joint ministerial meeting for 17th and 18th March 2019, with her Maldivian counterpart Abdullah Shahid, where the latter has assured to remain sensitive towards India’s security and strategic concerns.
- The joint ministerial meeting was held in Male, where both Sushma Swaraj and Abdullah Shahid have discussed ways to enhance cooperation over a variety of issues, including capacity development, health cooperation, trade, investment and economy.
India and Maldives held bilateral ties
Both the representatives have discussed steps to continue the upward trajectory in bilateral relationship. India will attach the importance to its relationship with the Maldives which will be marked by trust, transparency, mutual understanding and sensitivity. Meeting has reviewed the entire gamut of bilateral relations and discussed the future programme of action.
India and Maldives carved out 3 agreements
This visit has availed both India and Maldives to exchange approved agreement on visa facilitation for diplomatic and official passport holders, development cooperation, and renewable energy to benefit both the countries.
- Both the countries have also agreed on a wide spectrum of issues to further collaborate for development cooperation and to intensify people to people contact.
- India and Maldives have also signed an agreement and 2 Memorandums of Understanding to collaborate in the field of energy efficiency and renewable energy. These MoUs will focus on Indian Grant Assistance for the implementation of High Impact Community Development Projects through local bodies in the Maldives.
Maldives’ “India-First Policy” for strategic concerns
Maldives has also reaffirmed its “India-First Policy” to work efficiently with India on all issues and will remain sensitive towards its security and strategic concerns as external affairs minister, Sushma Swaraj held talks with the country’s top leadership.
India to establish Cricket stadium in Maldives
India has assured the Maldives in this ministerial meet that it will consider Maldives’ request to establish a cricket stadium in the Maldives. This step was taken into consideration as the two countries have discussed for cooperation in the field of youth and sports.
Plaque of renovated Indira Gandhi Memorial Hospital in Maldives
Sushma Swaraj has also unveiled a plaque of the renovated Indira Gandhi Memorial Hospital in Maldives. She has dedicated the hospital to the natives of the Maldives. It is going to be the first and largest government healthcare facility in the Maldives.
Maldives signed agreement to finance infrastructure projects with Exim Bank
An Agreement was signed between Export Import Bank of India (EXIM) and Maldives Finance Ministry for line of credit (LOC) of $800 million to finance the infrastructure projects of the new government in Maldives.
- India will provide finance assistance of 1.4 billion US dollars, as per the announcement made during Ibrahim Mohamed Solih’s visit in December 2018. The Line of Credit is a part of this finance assistance.
- Exim Bank will charge 1.75 percent interest rate and the loan will come with a 15-year repayment period after the 5 years of moratorium.
- Capital- Male
- Currency- Rufiyaa
- President- Ibrahim Mohamed Solih