Welcome to Online English Section with explanation in AffairsCloud.com. Here we are creating question sample in Word Usage, which is BASED ON NEW PATTERN which have been asked in many banking exams recently.
Find the meaning of the underlined/BOLD word in the following sentence.
- He was a social and political egalitarian.
5) sickleAnswer – 1)
Explanation: Egalitarianism – the doctrine that all people are equal and deserve equal rights and opportunities.
- A ramshackle cottage.
5) devideAnswer – 2)
Explanation: ramshackle – (especially of a house or vehicle) in a state of severe disrepair.
- The enforced camaraderie of office life.
5) antagonismAnswer – 4)
Explanation: Camaraderie – mutual trust and friendship among people who spend a lot of time together.
- He was gaunt and cadaverous.
5) exhilaratedAnswer – 3)
Explanation: cadaverous – very pale, thin, or bony.
- The sound of the death-watch beetle was thought to portend the death of someone in the house.
5) opennessAnswer – 1)
Explanation: Portend – be a sign or warning that (something, especially something momentous or calamitous) is likely to happen.
- He claimed two witnesses at his trial had committed perjury.
5) mendacityAnswer – 5)
Explanation: Perjury – the offence of wilfully telling an untruth or making a misrepresentation under oath.
- The nascent space industry.
5) modestAnswer – 4)
Explanation: Nascent – (especially of a process or organization) just coming into existence and beginning to display signs of future potential.
- The organizations remained under firm government tutelage.
5) mysteriousAnswer – 1)
Explanation: Tutelage – protection of or authority over someone or something; guardianship.
- some of these feelings spring from fears about death and ageing.
4) fiddle bow
5) plainAnswer – 4)
Explanation: spring – move or jump suddenly or rapidly upwards or forwards.
- The question is dominated by esoteric debate.
5) concreteAnswer – 3)
Explanation: Esoteric – intended for or likely to be understood by only a small number of people with a specialized knowledge or interest.
AffairsCloud Recommends Oliveboard Mock Test
AffairsCloud Ebook - Support Us to Grow
Govt Jobs by Category
Bank Jobs Notification