Welcome to Online English Section with explanation in Affairs Cloud.com. Here we are creating question sample in sentence fillers, which is BASED ON Bank EXAMS 2018 !!!
Directions- (Q.1-10) In the mentioned questions , a paragraph is given. Fill the blank with the correct sentence from the options.
- Governance is the manner in which power is exercised in the management of a country’s resources for development. In this process, the Govt. role and size matters a lot. Since the govt.’s functioning can be marred by its unwieldy size and the monopolistic nature of its services, it becomes important to assign it with a facilitating and enabling role,keeping itself compact and yet effective and simultaneously promoting self-governance and more delivery of services by the private sector.____________________________________________________.
1. Finally, assigning more responsibilities to the private sector promotes competition.
2. Self governance boosts local capabilities and ensures prompt resolutions to everyday matters.
3. This is what we mean by Minimum Government, Maximum Governance.
4. Further, the inter-personal contact and common objectives that are fostered help in combating prejudices and promote social cohesion.
5. It emphasizes the importance of self-government.
Answer :3. This is what we mean by Minimum Government, Maximum Governance.
Option 3 is suitable
- Organic farming does not mean going back to traditional methods. Many of the traditional methods of farming are even practised today. __________________________________________________. Thus, organic farmers try to work with nature and not against it. Therefore, a healthy relationship is created between the man the environment.
1. Each and every crop is different from one another.
2. The system of organic farming tries to work with nature.
3. The environment of the soil, from soil structure to soil cover is more important.
4. Organic farmers take the best of these methods and combine them with modern scientific knowledge.
5. It is a unique production management system, which promotes and enhances agro-ecosystem health.
Answer :4. Organic farmers take the best of these methods and combine them with modern scientific knowledge.
Option 4 is suitable
- India has been at the forefront of the climate change negotiations. India has led the developing countries in these negotiations and presented their viewpoints in effective manner.______________________________________________________. India supports the principle of ‘Common but differentiated responsibility’;historic responsibility of developed countries in climate change crisis, and hence their leading role in addressing this challenge in giving funds and technology thus becomes vital.
1. Since, India is a developing country, and it cannot compromise with its poverty reduction and development agenda, her stand in these negotiations is motivated by this primary factors.
2. International cooperation is also forthcoming to strengthen India’s new initiatives with respect to climate change management.
3. India’s aim is to gain a better understanding of the climate science as well and better international cooperation.
4. Also, India proposed to create additional carbon sink equivalent to billion tonnes of CO2 through additional forest cover.
5. Creating more carbon sink by afforestation and plantation is the key to check the crisis.
Answer :1. Since, India is a developing country, and it cannot compromise with its poverty reduction and development agenda, her stand in these negotiations is motivated by this primary factors.
Option 1 is suitable
- Today, we see the government turning a deaf ear to the cries of the cash-strapped public. ________________________________________________________. In both cases and in all other terms before, and in all democracies around the world, citizens have nothing to do besides lamenting their choice, bemoaning their fate and riding it out until the next general elections.
1. Representation does include democratic components to hold representatives to account at the end of the term and to dismiss them if their performance in office is judged unsatisfactory.
2. Democracy gives government the power to do all that and more.
3. In every term, the government remains silent when the nation expresses shock and anger at the unprecedented level of corruption which results in loss of several lakh crores to the exchequer.
4. The point is that they are not the sole components of representation.
5. Democracy gives people the right to vote but no voice.
Answer :3. In every term, the government remains silent when the nation expresses shock and anger at the unprecedented level of corruption which results in loss of several lakh crores to the exchequer.
Option 3 is suitable
- Nationalism and patriotism are two words which are often used inter-changeably. This is incorrect since there is a world of difference between the two concepts, in spite of a few shared ideals. While patriotism fundamentally means affection for one’s country and willingness to defend it, nationalism is a more extreme, unforgiving form of allegiance to one’s country. ______________________________________.Love for one’s country is imperative and necessary, but if this love becomes more important than Constitutional values or democratic ideals, it is misplaced.
1. It is better to respect the democratic ideals.
3. Having nationalist passion is a very strong instrument for uniting people, especially during wartime.
4. The term ‘national identity’ is difficult to define–it can mean a religious identity, an ethnic identity or even an ideological identity.
5. The main shortcoming of nationalism lies in the fact that it can blind people.
Answer :5. The main shortcoming of nationalism lies in the fact that it can blind people.
Option 5 is suitable
- Outer space is an environment that has long fascinated mankind, who have, from the dawn of time, tried to interpret its significance for us mortals down below. The recent years have seen not only scientific and astronomical success in investigating outer space, but also a remarkable growth in its utilisation for a wide range of civilian and military purposes. Today, it is estimated that there are some 1,000 satellites in operation, owned by over 60 countries. ____________________________________.
1. It is to establish one’s supremacy over the other military users of space that prompts states to go haywire in developing technologies.
2. When it comes to space, there’s whole new level of uncertainty as we don’t know the repercussions of our activities in space.
3. Space has been explored extensively for peaceful and commercial purposes for the benefit of all across the globe.
4. Importantly, no longer is exploitation of outer space the preserve of a small group of advanced industrialised countries.
5. Also, it shows where the priorities of nations lie.
Answer :4. Importantly, no longer is exploitation of outer space the preserve of a small group of advanced industrialised countries.
Option 4 is suitable
- Infrastructure projects are long-gestation and high-risk tasks to take up. It takes years to lay a major road, build a port terminal, roll out a telecom network, or set up a power plant.______________________________________________. There are political hurdles since land acquisition and regulatory clearances are involved. The assets of an unfinished project- a half built bridge, or a stalled power plant are often worthless, so the lender can recover nothing by seizing assets. That is quite apart from the usual endemic contractual disputes.
1. Every case of corporate failure leads to loss of public trust and confidence.
2. They are capital-intensive requiring vast sums of money, and the returns are zero until the project is up and running.
3. Overall corporate standards need to improve to create a more robust ecosystem.
4. The guiding principle should be those having the ability or right to intervene should be held accountable for their action or inaction.
5. A better level of corporate governance is essential for infrastructure businesses, given the scale of investments which are colossal.
Answer :2. They are capital-intensive requiring vast sums of money, and the returns are zero until the project is up and running.
Option 2 is suitable
- Independent and impartial judiciary is a foundation stone of democratic political order. The judiciary, strengthens democracy by protecting the rights and liberties of the people and interpreting legal and constitutional provisions. In addition of these traditional roles, judiciary in India also protects the Constitution by its power of judicial review. The judiciary exists and functions in a given social, political environment and hence affected by the same set-up. ______________________________________________
1. The reason for those arise from poor implementation of policies, resulting in violation of rights and justice to the people.
2. Thus, by progressive interpretation, it also becomes an instrument of social change.
3. It does not give them the power to declare anything as null or void.
4. The judicial activism is the cumulative product of power of review and public interest litigation.
5. The grievance involved should arise from the governmental responsibility affecting the legal or constitutional rights of people.
Answer :2. Thus, by progressive interpretation, it also becomes an instrument of social change.
Option 2 is suitable
- Despite massive campaign spending in India, there is barely any public scrutiny of such spending because of the opaque nature of the transactions. The electoral bonds scheme amplifies such opacity by not disclosing the identity of the donor. Though the central government argues that the scheme has two-fold purpose; one, it enhances transparency in political funding; two, it protects the right to privacy of donors. ____________________________________________.
1. A clear case of conflict would arise if important policy decisions are taken that could affect the donors to a party.
2. History has often shown that money laundering is rampant through political donations.
3. Huge political donations create a sense of moral obligations.
4. In reality, the scheme undermines the complementary nature of the rights to privacy and information, namely, to make states more transparent.
5. Keeping the identity of a donor secret,some argue ,is an extension of their right to vote in secret ballot.
Answer :4. In reality, the scheme undermines the complementary nature of the rights to privacy and information, namely, to make states more transparent.
Option 4 is suitable
- ______________________________________________________. And given the increasing prevalence of mental illness globally, coupled with presence of psychosocial stressors in the form of academic workloads,peer pressures, bullying and aggression, tendencies of substance use and risk taking behaviour, and so on, recognising the potential role of a school counsellor is of paramount importance.
1. Adopting a sensitised approach towards mental health is now the crying demand of the hour given the social stigma attached to it.
2. With rising awareness about mental health, especially in context of young children and adolescents, it is a welcome change to note that the need for counsellors has been recognised across schools in the country.
3. What we must remember is that psychological well-being and life skills can’t be taught in the form of textbooks.
4. The role of school is crucial in sensitising students and faculty towards mental health issues.
5. Ensure that mental health is given the same importance given to general health, hygiene and nutrition.
Answer :2. With rising awareness about mental health, especially in context of young children and adolescents, it is a welcome change to note that the need for counsellors has been recognised across schools in the country.
Option 2 is suitable