Welcome to Online English Section with explanation in AffairsCloud.com. Here we are providing here some important idioms and phrases, which is BASED ON IBPS PO/CLERK/LIC AAO/RRB & SSC CGL EXAM and other competitive exams.
- A big cheese
1) a view from a very high place which allows you to see a large area
2) an important or a powerful person in a group or family
3) to be nosy and listen to other people’s private conversations.
4) a story or an explanation which is obviously not true.Answer – 2)
Explanation : an important or a powerful person in a group or family
- At the crack of the dawn
1) someone in a group of people but not liked by them.
2) a method which clearly proves something
3) To use very obscene or blasphemous language
4) very early in morningAnswer – 3)
Explanation : very early in morning
- A dead letter
1) an argument or law not followed by anyone.
2) u do something easily and without any preparation
3) someone who gets early in the morning
4) to be nosy and listen to other people’s private conversations.Answer – 1)
Explanation : an argument or law not followed by anyone.
- At the eleventh hour
1) a strange person
2) be too late.
3) an event done to warn someone
4) one is very busy and have commitmentsAnswer – 2)
Explanation : be too late.
- A witch hunt
1) to follow someone
2) something of very high quality
3) an attempt to find and punish those who have options that are believed to be dangerous
4) a sudden change in circumstancesAnswer – 3)
Explanation : an attempt to find and punish those who have options that are believed to be dangerous
- Afraid of one’s own shadow
1) to make public something embarrassing that should be kept secret.
2) everything is ready.
3) to become easily frightened
4) a person who is angry or upset about something.Answer – 3)
Explanation : to become easily frightened
- An arm and a leg
2) to appear suddenly without warning.
2) a large amount of money
3) to ask for too much.
4) To be what one would expect to happen or expect somebody to doAnswer – 2)
Explanation : a large amount of money
- Asleep at the switch
1) not to be alert on opportunity
2) to be lost and bewildered
3) to be always ready to serve
4) at the lowest levelAnswer – 1)
Explanation : not to be alert on opportunity
- A boon in disguise
1) to keep at a distance
2) in disorder
3) a benefit in loss
4) To show that he is no longer highly regardedAnswer – 3)
Explanation : a benefit in loss
- A bull in a China shop
1) an important day
2) pleasure for a short time
3) an awkward person
4) to steal from one’s employerAnswer – 3)
Explanation : an awkward person