Welcome to Online English Section with explanation in AffairsCloud.com. Here we are creating question sample in FILL IN THE BLANK, which is BASED ON IBPS PO/CLERK/LIC AAO/RRB & SSC CGL EXAM and other competitive exams.
- The central bank has been pushing lenders to review the classification of loans given by them as part of an Asset Quality Review (AQR).The resultant sharp __________ in provisions for bad debts has eroded profitability, especially at state-owned banks, in recent quarters.
5)downfallAnswer – 4)
Explanation : Surge-a sudden powerful forward or upward movement, especially by a crowd or by a natural force such as the tide.
Spate – a large number of similar things coming in quick succession.
Deluge – a severe flood
Inundate – overwhelm (someone) with things or people to be dealt with.
- India and Pakistan were the only non-NPT applicants, and according to several diplomats _______to the consultation, Pakistan’s case, “was not even discussed,” indicating India’s case was the only one under consideration during the special sessions.
5)rifeAnswer – 3)
Explanation : Privy – sharing in the knowledge of (something secret or private).
- Indian negotiators emphasized that the country’s entry into the _______nuclear club, which frames rules for members’ nuclear trade with other nations, is justified on the basis of its clean non-proliferation record, a factor important in the NSG giving India a country-specific waiver in 2008.
5)brigadeAnswer – 1)
Explanation : Elite -A group or class of persons enjoying superior intellectual or social or economic status.
Dilate- make or become wider, larger, or more open.
- Most of the members expressed concern on the inflation outlook since food inflation rose by 100 basis points, headline inflation moved up by 60 basis points, and even excluding food, fuel, petrol and diesel, inflation edged up _________and remained sticky in April.
5)generouslyAnswer – 2)
Explanation : marginally
- Clearly disappointed by the outcome, the government lashed out at China in a ________reference to “one country”, that had “persistently raised” “procedural hurdles”, and said that an “early decision on [India’s] application remains in larger global interest.”
5)lucidAnswer – 4)
Explanation : veiled
- The only silver lining is the housing sector, according to the financial stability report, which said with gross NPAs of the retail housing segment at 1.3 per cent, it does not pose any __________systemic risks in the Indian context.
5)significantAnswer – 5)
Explanation : significant- Important in effect or meaning.
Otiose- Serving no useful purpose; having no excuse for being.
- Among the commitments the statement highlighted were India’s voluntary and unilateral _________on nuclear testing, its “policy of no-first-use of nuclear weapons” and several initiatives the country has taken in recent years to press for the elimination of nuclear weapons at the global level.
5)ceasefireAnswer – 3)
Explanation : moratorium -A legally authorized postponement before some obligation must be discharged.
armistice – an agreement made by opposing sides in a war to stop fighting for a certain time
- The decision indicates that _______opposition from China and other countries on the issue of the Non-Proliferation Treaty that India has refused to sign, and the desire of several NSG countries to look for a “non-discrimatory” membership process that includes all non-NPT states, India’s application was acknowledged to have some merit of its own.
5)aegisAnswer – 4)
Explanation : despite
- Telecom operator Aircel is ________customers to its 3G network with various incentives and mass campaigns for increased data usage.These include promotional offers and special discounts during festive seasons, Friday sales, 3G experience zones in semi-urban areas, pocket internet and free basic internet.
5)blisteringAnswer – 2)
Explanation : wooing- seek the favors, support, or custom of.
Shunning- persistently avoid, ignore, or reject (someone or something) through antipathy or caution.
Dawdling- move slowly and idly in a particular direction.
Blistering- extremely fast, forceful, or impressive
- Apart from permitting 100 per cent FDI under ________route in brownfield airport projects, foreign investment limits have been raised for scheduled air transport service, domestic scheduled passenger airlines and regional air transport service projects.
5) automaticAnswer – 5)
Explanation : automatic