The Tamil Nadu Governor C Vidyasagar Rao appointed Edappadi K Palaniswami as chief minister of the state on February 16, 2017. His appointment is in acceptance of the letter submitted by Palaniswami on February 14, 2017 that he was elected as the leader of the AIADMK legislature party at a meeting of the party MLAs.
- The Governor has invited him to form the ministry at the earliest as well as requested him to seek the vote confidence of the assembly within 15 days.
- He was elected as the leader of AIADMK Legislature Party on February 14, 2016 after incumbent V. K. Sasikala was convicted by the Supreme Court in the 20-year old disproportionate assets case.
- His appointment marks an end to the 10-day political uncertainty in the state which began with caretaker Chief Minister O Panneerselvam’s revolt against the AIADMK general secretary.
- Edappadi K. Palanisamy takes over as Tamil Nadu’s 13th chief minister.
Oath taking Ceremony
Governor C Vidyasagar Rao administered the oath of office and secrecy to 63-year-old Palaniswami at a ceremony in the Raj Bhavan on February 16, 2017. Palaniswami took oath first followed by 30 ministers in four batches.
- Since the AIADMK won the assembly election in May 2016, this is the third ministry in the last 10 months.
- The Palaniswami’s cabinet has only one new member, K A Sengottaiyan, Party presidium chairman and he will replace K Pandiarajan who was the schools education minister in the Panneerselvam cabinet.
- Remaining other ministers has retained the same portfolio.
List of Cabinet Minister in Palanisamy Government
|2||Sellur K Raju||Cooperation|
|3||P Thangamani||Electricity, Prohibition And Excise|
|4||S P Velumani||Municipal Administration|
|6||C Ve Shanmugam||Law, Court And Prisons|
|7||K P Anbazhagan||Higher Education|
|8||V Saroja||Social Welfare|
|9||M C Sampath||Industries|
|10||K C Karuppanan||Environment|
|11||R Kamaraj||Food And Civil Supplies|
|12||O S Manian||Handlooms And Textiles|
|13||K Radhakrishnan||Housing And Urban Development|
|14||C Vijaya Baskar||Health And Family Welfare|
|16||Kadambur Raju||Information And Publicity|
|17||R B Udhyakumar||Revenue|
|19||K C Veeramani||Commercial Taxes|
|20||K T Rajenthra Bhalaji||Milk And Dairy Development|
|21||P Benjamin||Rural Industries|
|23||M R Vijayabaskar||Transport|
|24||M Manikandan||Information And Technology|
|25||V M Rajalakshmi||Adi Dravidar And Tribal Welfare|
|26||G Baskaran||Khadi And Village Industries Board|
|27||S Ramachandran||Hindu Religious And Charitable Endowments|
|28||S Valarmathi||Backward Classes And Minorities Welfare|
|29||P Balakrishna Reddy||Animal Husbandry|
|30||K A Sengottaiyan||Education Minister|
Political Crisis in Tamil Nadu
O Panneerselvam was appointed as the Chief Minister within hours of death of AIDMK supremo and Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on December 5, 2016. Later on February 5, 2017 Panneerselvam stepped down paving the way for Sasikala to be elected its legislature party leader who was already chosen AIADMK general secretary.
- However, he rose in rebellion against Sasikala two days later claiming he was forced for resigning. He even expressed willingness to become Chief Minister again if the people of Tamil Nadu and AIADMK workers so desired.
- This led to political crisis in the state and in between all these Sasikala met Governor Rao on February 9 and claimed to form the government.
- However, on February 14, 2017, Sasikala was convicted by the Supreme Court in a disproportionate assets case rendering her ineligible for contesting elections for 10 years.
- Sasikala finally proposed the name of her loyalist Edappadi K. Palanisamy elected AIADMK legislature party leader
About Edappadi K Palaniswami
Palaniswami was born into an agriculture family and began his political career in the AIADMK in 1974 as an ordinary party member.
- He later became a local level party secretary for Siluvampalayam in Edappadi Panchayat Union in Salem district.
- After the splitting of AIADMK into two factions where one was led by Jayalalithaa and the other by party founder M G Ramachandran’s wife Janaki, Palaniswami proved a loyal to Jayalalithaa
- In 1990 Jayalalithaa unified the AIADMK and he was elevated as the joint secretary of the Salem North District.Palanisamy has won the election to the state assembly four times, in 1989, 1991, 2011 and 2016 from the Edapadi constituency.
- He previously served as Minister for Highways & Minor Ports in the Jayalalithaa and O. Panneerselvam-led ministries of the Government of Tamil Nadu.
- He has held various party posts including propaganda secretary, organisation secretary, and disciplinary committee member.
- He also holds the posts of party headquarters secretary and Salem Rural District party secretary.