On February 22, 2021, Defence Research & Development Organisation (DRDO) successfully conducted 2 launches of Vertical Launch Short Range Surface to Air Missile (VL-SRSAM) from the Integrated Test Range (ITR), Chandipur, Odisha. This is the maiden launch of the missile system.
- The missile has been indigenously designed and developed by DRDO for Indian Navy.
- It has a Strike Range of 40-50 kms.
- It is a Surface to Air Missile & will provide defence against various aerial targets like Jets, Fighter Aircraft & Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) & also sea-skimming targets.
- The test demonstrated the effectiveness of the vertical launch system & missile’s maximum & minimum range.
- DRDO’s facilities like Defence Research & Development Laboratory (DRDL), Research & Development Establishment (Engineers) & Research Centre Imarat (RCI) were involved in design & development of the missile system.
i.During the trials, VL-SRSAM with Weapon Control System (WCS) were deployed.
ii.Once deployed, the missile will be a force multiplier for the Indian Navy.
Rajnath Singh Inaugurates 1st of its Kind DRDO SDC for Fire Safety Training
Union Defence Minister, Rajnath Singh virtually inaugurated DRDO Skill Development Centre (SDC) for Fire Safety Training at Pilkhuwa, Uttar Pradesh. It is a first-of-its-kind facility in India.
- The facility has been created by Delhi based DRDO laboratory Centre for Fire, Explosive & Environment Safety (CFEES).
- The main objective of the facility is to develop trained human resources, fire safety technology & products for saving human lives & assets.
- The facility will provide training to Fire Service personnel of Indian Armed Forces, DRDO, Ordnance Factories, Coast Guard & Defence undertakings. Apart from this, trainees from Bhutan, Sri Lanka & other neighbouring countries would also be imparted training at the centre.
- It would be maintained by CFEES. Each year CFEES trains around 400-500 personnel in modules customised to the needs of Ministry of Defence (MoD) establishments.
- The SDC will be another step taken by DRDO to achieve Government’s call for ‘Atmanirbhar Bharat’.
Recent Related News:
i.On December 18, 2020, Union Minister for Defence, Rajnath Singh handed over 3 New Indigenous Systems – Border Surveillance System (BOSS), Indian Maritime Situational Awareness System (IMSAS) & ASTRA MK-I Missile all developed by DRDO to the Chiefs of 3 Armed Forces – Indian Navy, Indian Air Force (IAF) & Indian Army at a function held in DRDO Bhawan, New Delhi.
About Defence Research & Development Organisation (DRDO):
Chairman – Dr G Satheesh Reddy
Headquarters – New Delhi