The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) Armament Research & Development Establishment (ARDE), Pune (Maharashtra) in collaboration with the Indian Army’s Infantry School, Mhow has developed India’s first indigenous 9mm machine pistol ASMI. It will replace the 9mm pistols used by defence forces.
- Notably it has been developed by a young officer ‘Lt Col Prasad Bansod’ from Infantry School, Mhow in a record time of four months.
- The pistol was displayed at the Army’s Innovation Display Event on January 13, 2021.
- The cost of producing 1 machine gun is below Rs.50000.
- It will be soon handed over for use to the Indian Army.
Features of machine pistol ASMI:
Class– Uzi series guns of Israel.
Range– 100 metres
Retractable landing gear systems handed over to Indian Navy
Apart from above, Retractable landing gear (RLG) systems built by the Combat Vehicles Research and Development Establishment (CVRDE), a unit of the DRDO in Chennai (Tamil Nadu), were handed over to the Navy as a part of ‘Atmanirbhar’ programme.
- A 3 tonne RLG is designed for TAPAS Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) 1 tonne for SWiFT UAV.
- The system was designed, developed and evaluated for certification in coordination with the Centre for Military Airworthiness & Certification (CEMILAC) and the Indian Government’s Directorate General of Aeronautical Quality Assurance (DGAQA).
Recent Related News:
i.On December 21, 2020 Bank of Baroda(BoB) to offer special customized banking services through ‘Baroda Military Salary Package’ has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Indian Navy and Indian Coast Guard and renewed its existing MoU with the Indian Army.
ii.On December 3, 2020, As part of reorganisation of Army Headquarters, Defence Ministry approved the Creation of 2 New Posts – Deputy Chief for Military Operations & Strategic Planning & Director General (DG) of Information Warfare. The Deputy Chief (for Military Operations & Strategic Planning) will be the 3rd post of Deputy Chief in the Indian Army.
About Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO):
Establishment – 1958
Chairman– G Satheesh Reddy
Headquarter– New Delhi
Parent Ministry – Ministry of Defence
About Indian Army:
Chief of the Army Staff– Manoj Mukund Naravane,
Headquarters– New Delhi