On 8th September 2022 the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and the Indian Army successfully completed 6 flight tests of the Quick Reaction Surface to Air Missile (QRSAM) system from the Integrated Test Range (ITR) Chandipur, off the coast of Odisha and is now ready for induction into the Army.
i.The flight tests were carried out against high-speed aerial targets to evaluate the capability of the weapon systems under various scenarios.
- The scenarios included long range medium altitude, short range, high altitude manoeuvring target, low radar signature with receding and crossing target and salvo launch with two missiles fired in quick succession.
ii.The performance of the system was also evaluated under night operation scenarios which was confirmed by the data captured by range instruments like telemetry, radar and Electro Optical Tracking Systems (EOTS).
iii.These tests were conducted in the final deployment with all indigenously-developed sub-systems that includes the missile with indigenous Radio Frequency (RF) seeker, mobile launcher, fully automated command and control system, surveillance and multi-function Radars.
About Quick Reaction Surface to Air Missile (QRSAM):
i.QRSAM is a short range surface-to-air missile (SAM) system primarily designed and developed by DRDO for the Indian Army, which has been equipped with state-of-the-art guidance and control algorithms including warhead chain.
- This is capable of detecting and tracking targets on the move and fire on short halts.
ii.The QRSAM has a fully automated command and control system with a range of 25 to 30 km.
DRDO Successfully Tests Enhanced Range Pinaka Rockets in Pokhran, Balasore
The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) successfully test fired an enhanced Range Pinaka Multi-Barrel Rocket Launcher (MBRL) at Balasore, Odisha and Pokhran, Rajasthan.
- The Pinaka MBRL is designed by the Armament Research and Development Establishment (ARDE), a laboratory of the DRDO that is based in Pune, Maharashtra.
- Munitions India Limited and Economic Explosives Limited manufactured the system.
About Pinaka Rockets:
i.The Pinaka (MBRL) is a multiple rocket launcher produced in India for the Indian Army, and comprises a free-flight artillery rocket.
ii.Pinaka Mark-I has a maximum range of 40 kilometres while the Pinaka Mark-I enhanced version has a maximum range of 60 kilometres.
In May 2022, DRDO also successfully completed trials of the Advanced Towed Artillery Gun System (ATAGS) at Pokhran Field Firing Range (PFFR).
- ATAGS is a fully indigenous artillery gun system project that has been developed by the DRDO and as a part of the artillery modernization programme of the Indian Army.
- This is produced by two firms Bharat Forge and Tata Advanced Systems Limited.
Recent related news:
The Indian Air Force and Indian Navy have partnered with DRDO to use CHAFF Technology in the Indian Airforce Aircraft and Indian Naval Ships in order to protect from enemy radar guided missiles during hostile situations.
About Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO):
Chairman – Dr Samir Vankatpati Kamat
Headquarters – New Delhi, Delhi