The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) handed over three defence products for induction into the Indian Army in a formal ceremony on March 2, 2017 in New Delhi.
The products developed in DRDO’s laboratory include
- Weapon Locating Radar (WLR) SWATHI
- NBC Recce Vehicle
- NBC Drugs
The defence product was handed over by the Defence Minister Shri Manohar Parrikar to the Chief of the Army Staff General Bipin Rawat on behalf of DRDO and it is likely to be deployed along the Line of Control in Jammu and Kashmir.
- The Weapon Locating Radar, NBC Recce Vehicle and a set of NBC Drugs were successfully tested in 2016 after extensive evaluation by competent evaluation teams/bodies.
About WLR SWATHI
Weapon Locating Radar (WLR) “SWATHI” has been developed by Electronics & Radar Development Establishment (LRDE) of DRDO.
- The weapon includes 81mm or higher calibre mortars, 105mm or higher calibre shells and 120mm or higher calibre free flying rockets.
- The radar has the capability to provide fast, automatic and accurate location of all enemy weapons like mortars, shells and rockets firing within in its effective zone of coverage and simultaneously handles multiples projectiles fired from different weapons at different locations.
- Besides, the system is also capable of adjusting the fire of Indian Army’s own artillery weapon.
- Thus the WLR has two roles to perform: Weapon Location Mode for enemy Artillery and Direction of Own artillery Fire (DOOAF) Mode for our own Artillery.
- The Indian Army has ordered development of 30 SWATHI out of which 6 has been developed and 3 other are being worked upon.
About NBC Recce Vehicle Mk-I
The NBC Recce Vehicle “Mk-I” is developed by Vehicles Research & Development Establishment (VRDE) in association with Defence Laboratory, Jodhpur.
- NBC RV Mk-I has been developed for carrying out post event recce of Nuclear, Biological and Chemical Contaminated areas.
- It is capable of collecting solid and liquid samples of biologically contaminated areas, mark the nuclear and chemical contamination zone and transfer the recce data speedily to support formations.
The DRDO’s Institute of Nuclear Medicine & Allied Sciences (INMAS) have developed the NBC drugs which are antidotes for Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear (CBRN) emergencies.
- INMAS is actively engaged in research in the field of radio protectors, de-corporating agents and antidotes for CBRN emergencies, combat casualty care and other life saving drugs.
- Out of the several formulas developed by INMAS, 15 drugs have been identified for induction.
Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO)
The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) is an agency of the Republic of India, charged with the military’s research and development, headquartered in New Delhi, India.
- It is under the administrative control of the Ministry of Defence, Government of India.
- DRDO is India’s largest and most diverse research organization engaged in developing defence technologies covering various fields, like aeronautics, armaments, electronics, land combat engineering, life sciences, materials, missiles, and naval systems
- Founded: 1958
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Chairman: Dr.S.Christopher