Defence Laboratory Jodhpur (DLJ), a DRDO Laboratory (Defence Research and Development Organization) has indigenously developed an Advanced Chaff Technology to safeguard Indian naval ships from Missile Attack.
3 variants of Chaff technology have been developed. They are
- Short Range Chaff Rocket (SRCR)
- Medium Range Chaff Rocket (MRCR)
- Long Range Chaff Rocket (LRCR)
i.All 3 variants of the Chaff Technology were tested in the Arabian Sea on Indian Naval Ship.
- It is an electronic countermeasure technology used by armed forces to protect their naval ships by distracting the enemy’s radar and Radio Frequency (RF) missile seekers.
- Chaffs (thin pieces of aluminium, plastic or glass fiber) are disbursed in air by aircrafts of other targets, which appears as a cluster of primary targets on radar screens or swamps the screen with multiple returns and confuses the adversaries.
- The successful development of Advanced Chaff Technology is another step towards Atmanirbhar Bharat
- The most vital part of the development is that very less quantity of chaff material deployed in the air acts as a decoy to deflect enemy’s missiles for the safety of the ships.
- The technology will be given to Industry for production in large quantities.
Recent Related News:
i.On October 5, 2020, DRDO successfully flight tested the Supersonic Missile assisted release of Torpedo (SMART) from Dr. Abdul Kalam Island, formerly known as Wheeler Island off the coast of Odisha.
About Defence Laboratory Jodhpur (DLJ):
Director – Ravindra Kumar
Location – Jodhpur, Rajasthan