Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) successfully conducted the Maiden trial of 5th Generation Python-5 Short Range Air-to-Air Missile (AAM) in Goa. The missile would add to the air-to-air combat capability of India’s Indigenous LCA Tejas (Light Combat Aircraft).
- Python-5 Missile is an infra-red guided missile manufactured by Rafael Advanced Defence Systems, Israel and has a range of 20 km.
- The test also validated the enhanced capability of Derby Beyond Visual Range (BVR) Medium Range AAM Missile, which has a range of 50 km.
- Both missiles were fired from Tejas aircraft of the Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA).
- Python-5 is the 2nd Air-to-Air Missile of Israel origin to be integrated on Tejas fighter, the first one being the Derby Medium-Range Air-to-Air missile.
- Derby is a radar-guide weapon and is manufactured by Rafael Advanced Defence Systems, Israel.
- Post successful trials, the live launch of a Python-5 Missile on Banshee (target drone) was carried out.
- Both missiles achieved 100% hits on their targets.
- Prior to the trials, missile carriage flight tests were conducted on Bengaluru to assess the integration of the missile with aircraft systems.
Recent Related News:
i.On January 25-26, 2021, DRDO successfully conducted the maiden launch of Akash-NG (New Generation) Surface to Air Missile (SAM) from Integrated Test Range of Balasore, off the coast of Odisha.
About Rafael Advanced Defence Systems
CEO – Yoav Har-Even
Headquarters – Haifa, Israel
About Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO):
Headquarter– New Delhi
Chairman– Dr G. Satheesh Reddy