Draupadi Murmu was today sworn in as the first woman Governor of Jharkhand.The oath-taking ceremony held at Birsa Mandap at the Raj Bhavan.
- Murmu succeeds Syed Ahmed, who will take over as Manipur Governor.
- Jharkhand High Court Chief Justice Virendra Singh administered the oath of office to Murmu.
- She is the first tribal woman to hold the office of Governor of any state.
- She is the first woman Governor of Jharkhand.
- She is the first woman leader from Odisha to be appointed as a Governor in an Indian State.
- Murmu will be sworn in as the ninth governor of Jharkhand.
- Jharkhand Chief Minister Raghubar Das, his cabinet colleagues, former Chief Ministers Shibu Soren and Arjun Munda, Union Minister of State for Rural Development Sudarshan Bhagat and a host of other dignitaries were present during the oath-taking ceremony.
About Draupadi Murmu :
- She was a two-time BJP MLA from Odisha
- She was a minister in the Naveen Patnaik cabinet when the Biju Janata Dal ruled the state with the support of Bharatiya Janata Party.
- She headed the BJP’s Mayurbhanj district unit in Odisha.
- Murmu was elected to the State Assembly twice from Rairangpur Assembly constituency in Mayurbhanj district in 2000 and 2004 elections.
Minister in Navin Patnaik Cabinet :
- Murmu was Minister of State with independent charge for Commerce and Transport from March 6, 2000 to August 6, 2002
- She was Mininster of Fisheries and Animal Resources Development from August 6, 2002 to May 16, 2004
Recent Appointments of Governors to Various States:
- P. Rajkhowa – Governor of Arunachal Pradesh;
- Tathagata Roy – the Governor of Tripura;
- V. Shanmuganthan – the Governor of Meghalaya,
- Lt. General (Retd.) Nirbhay Sharma, Governor of Arunachal Pradesh is transferred and
- Dr. Syed Ahmed, Governor of Jharkhand is transferred and appointed as Governor of Manipur for the remainder of his term.