On July 27, 2017, Minister of Science & Technology, Earth Sciences and Environment, Forests & Climate Change, Dr. Harshvardhan launched an Integrated Information Dissemination System, “Sagar Vani” on the occasion of Foundation Day of Ministry of Earth Sciences in New Delhi.
About ‘Sagar Vani’:
‘Sagar Vani’ has been launched to disseminate ocean related information and alerts (like high waves and Tsunami early warnings) to the user community (especially fishermen) in timely manner for their safety.
- It is an Integrated Information Dissemination System (IDS) and has been developed by Earth System Science Organisation (ESSO)-Indian National Centre for Ocean Information Services (INCOIS) under Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES) through the Industry M/s. Gaian Solutions Pvt. Ltd.
- Under ‘Sagar Vani’, various dissemination modes will be integrated on a single central server. It includes SMS, Voice Call / Audio Advisory, Mobile Apps (User / Admin modules), Social Media (Facebook, Twitter, etc.), Email, GTS, Fax, Digital Display Boards, Radio / Television broadcast units, Cloud Channels, etc.
- The system also has facility to provide access to various stakeholders (NGOs, State Fishery Departments, Disaster Management Authorities, etc.) so that they too will be able to further disseminate these ocean information and alerts to the user community.
- The services will be disseminated in local languages using advanced artificial intelligence and machine learning capabilities.
Target End Users of ‘Sagar Vani’:
There are 3288 marine fishing villages and 1511 marine fish landing centres with marine fisher folk population of 3,999,214.
- About 37.8% (1,511,703) of marine fisher folk are engaged in active fishing.
- About 927,120 fishermen were involved in actual fishing either full or part time.
- ESSO-INCOIS is currently serving about 3.17 lakh users directly through in-house efforts as well as through the partnering organizations including NGO’s.
- ‘Sagar Vani’ targets the reach of information to the 9.27 lakh people involved in actual fishing either full or part time.