The Department of Telecommunications (DoT), under the Ministry of Communications, has formed a technology innovation group on the Sixth Generation (6G), to take lead in the development of 6G Technology globally.
- Rajaraman, Chairman Digital Communications Commission & Secretary(Telecom) has been named the chairperson of the initiative.
To create vision and objectives as well as develop a roadmap for research and development (R&D), pre-standardisation, development of applications and products, and action plans for 6G technology.
About 6G Technology:
i.The 6G Technology is set to make its first commercial move before 2030.
ii.The ITU-APT Foundation of India (IAFI) has submitted its 6G vision documents to the International Telecommunications Union (ITU), which has put its strategy in place towards the tectonic technological shift.
iii.Chinese Huawei, and Korean Samsung and LG have already started work on 6G technology
Technology Innovation Group:
Technology Innovation Group is a 22-member group that includes,
- Anita Praveen additional secretary, Department of Telecommunications
- Ashok Kumar Tiwari member (Technology)
- member (Services) Deepak Chaturvedi,
- Rajkumar Upadhyay, Executive Director of Centre for Development of Telematics (C-DOT).
- Ajai Puri, Chairman of Cellular Operators Association of India (COAI) and Chief Operating Officer (COO) of (India and South Asia) of Bharti Airtel.
- The directors of the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) of Chennai, IIT Delhi, IIT Kanpur, IIT Mumbai, IIT Hyderabad and the Indian Institute of Science (IISc) Bengaluru are also members of the Technology innovation group.
The formation of the Technology Innovation Group comes with the efforts of India in auctioning and deploying 5G Technology.
Recent Related News:
The Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT), Ministry of Commerce and Industry, has set up a 25-member Development Council for the Cement Industry (DCCI) under the chairmanship of Puneet Dalmia, CMD, Dalmia Bharat Group.
About Ministry of Communications:
Union Minister– Ashwini Vaishnaw(Rajya Sabha- Odisha)
Minister of State– Devusinh Chauhan(Constituency- Kheda, Gujarat)